MI Trail ??'s

Getting back into dirt riding after a looooooong absence. daughter just got her license and wants to learn to ride with me on the street. Needless to say there's no way I want my 16yo daughter learning to ride on the roads of SE MI. Our compromise was dirt bikes,.....ya that was a real difficult decision for me ? Anyway looking for some trail riding within a few hours of Detroit area to teach her to ride.I joined the CCC and have their map book, it looks like they've been pretty successful in keeping a lot of land open here in MI. Looking for some easy trail riding that's not too crowded on weekends. Aprreciate any leads

Gary

The closest place to you that I know of is the Mounds.It's located in Flint. I think its the MT.Morris exit then east. Not the best place in the world. If you could take her on a weekday you'd probobly be O.K. Theres a couple spots there that you could teach her to clutch and shift. Again not the greatest place but it would work. It's atate run so make sure you have a spark arrester and your bikes are around 94 dbs.

the problem with the detroit area is anywhere close is jammed, the mounds used to be a great place to ride ten years ago, but they have fenced off many areas, and this funnels alot of people throught these pinch points and with all the quads its down right dangerous on the weekends, if you go go during the week, preferably during the day.

the other though thing about Michigan is the sand, lots and lots of it. Sand requires a bit of additional experience and confidence to ride in.

The St. Helen loop has a motorsport area which is less travelled than the mounds, check it in the CCC map book or at the DNR web site.

Stay away from Gladwin, the north loop is closed and the Quads have destroyed the rest. the Geels loops are easy as is St. Helen but the quads have really opened up St. Helen also.

Follow-up to previous post. The St. Helens Motor Sport area is wide open, but most of the area is whooped out sand. My son had a lot of trouble in the Motor Sport area. The St. Helens trail south of I-75 is pretty easy and my son and I like it much better.

St. Helens is 2 - 3 hour drive from Detroit, we have done a day trip a couple of times just to go riding.

Almost forgot, everyone has warned me not to go to the Mounds. I may be spreading rumor, but I have been told that they have an ambulance on stand by on the weekends.

I always enjoyed going to the mounds, not to ride but to watch all the fools & their trucks in the mud holes. On one count we had 5 rear bumpers pulled off & 2 front bumpers torn off. You shyould try riding when the lakes are froze. there are so many different areas to ride, & better angles to get to the trails . ?

If you're teaching her you probably want to steer clear of sandy whooped out trails. Mounds is definitely out, real sandy. St. Helen is real sandy, too. I'll do day trips there a couple of times each year and if it's rained recently it won't be too bad. West Higgins loop is not that sandy or whooped out. I wouldn't say it's wide open though. Some 4 wheelers squeeze through but it's tight enough where it keeps most off of it. Bull Gap is really sandy too. Deep stuff and lots of quads. Evart is not very sandy and that might be a nice ride for instruction purposes.

Ambrose lake trail is great for beginners, 8 mile loop which is not whooped or to technical. I think of it as a lo-calorie trail compared to the rest of Michigan. Take 75 to West Branch (exit 212) and go north on Fairview (I think) for about 15 minutes to Rose City Rd. Left (west) for about 1 mile and back south following the DNR signs. Turn right and go until the parking lot. Takes 2:15 to 2:30 from Canton. Wife learned to ride on this trail, has an outhouse in case mothernature beckons. And for a nice loop, for more challenge take the Ambrose lake to the north connector to Rose City loop, and back down. Total miles is about 30ish for the 2 loops and connector. Not necessarily for beginners though but not bad.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if it would be worth it (with terrain and orv stickers etc.) but you might research riding areas to the south too (out of state). Michigan is an awesome place to ride except for the fact it is VERY hard to find good places that aren't pure sand, comming north.

Maumee State Forest just West of Toledo is a great place to ride for beginners and not too boring for experienced riders either. We take our kids there a couple times a year. You will need an Ohio OHV sticker, But I believe Ohio honors Mi. stickers as well. I would check first because a Park Ranger does cruise the parking lot a couple times a day checking stickers.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/Forests/stateforests/maumee.htm