Sign in to follow this  

Newbie with a few questions?

Hello...

I'm looking at getting back into dirt. I've been riding street for several years now after growing up riding dirt bikes.

I've been looking a 2000 DR 400S. The bike has 6600 miles on it. The owner has put a white brothers full exhaust on the bike, and jetted it. Also the bike has been regeared for the dirt. He also states the bike could use a new chain. In the price he is including a extra set of tires. What should I be paying for this bike?

Thanks for the advice!

Jay... :cry:

Welcome!

Hard to say without seeing bike. Ebay is a good source to see what similar bike may be selling for. Different parts of the country seem to fetch various prices. The miles aren't so much of an issues as maint. The E modle is better set up for dirt, in general.

DO a few searches in here and a few things will stand out.. Of the DRZ's the pre 2002 DRZ S is the least ready to ride hard in the dirt... Can it?? Yes,, you can ride it as it came equipped from the OEM,, but stock it left some parts to be replaced.. Suspension is the main issue with the 200 DRZ S,

The cam chain tensioner is another known issue.

If it needs a chain, have a good look at the sprockets.

How much,, well in great shape, running well, no damage, no need for work or replacement parts.. maybe $2k,, but I personally would have to get a much better deal before I would buy one...