Sign in to follow this  

How hot does your XR200 get?

If I put water on my finger and touch either left or right hand cover after a few hours of riding, it sizzles and evaporates almost instantly. Is that normal? Could it be a result of me "breaking" the engine in synthetic oil? Should I drain the synthetic and use a different oil? Thanks!!!

Mine gets hot too. If it seems too hot, try retarding the timing a bit and see if that helps. It could be a little lean as well.

Here is a great item that I found on eBAY that will tell you how hot your engine is running. Temp Gage...stickon

Unless you have a hand held pyrocon to check the temp you are just gussing. You can buy a Raytec pyrocon with a lazer pointer that is good for 500 degrees F for $79.95 but these litle stick on temp gages look like they will work well.

I ordered a few but have not installed one yet....Karl

Yeah if you mean like clutch or flywheel covers that sounds a bit hot but anywhere above that i wouldnt try putting my finger on in under any circumstances.

John

Could it be a result of me "breaking" the engine in synthetic oil?

I might be way wrong on this. Back in the day when I used to build vw(air cooled) race motors, synthetic oil was a big time no-no! We tested it and found horrible results, VERY hot running motors. that was about 10 years ago, I dont know if there any different know.

It seems to me that you guys should be running regular oil in your bikes.

Just thought I'd throw that out there. Heat is a performance killer!!!!

To be honest, I need to find a hardware store special oil or something. I am looking to get the worst oil technically, right? Oil that will actually let things wear.. I heard valvoline is pretty crappy oil LOL. My problem now is the fact that I have synthetic oil basicvally covering everything. Does anyone know if that will now effect break in? Does anyone know of an oil I can buy at, say, Menards that is decent for breaking stuff in? Something cheap, as I don't have $ right now.

Uh no. :cry: Just buy motorcycle oil. Motorcycle oil contains stuff that doesn't let the clutch clip, whereas auto oil doesn't. The main problem with synthetic oils is it's too slippery, which means good for the motor, bad for the clutch. Street bikes can use Syn oil because they or at least most use a dry clutch. MXA did a big article on these a few months ago, so if you or one of your friends has the mag, it's worth reading. Also with little XR's, the clutches are only from 3-5 plates, so they are even more susceptible to automotive synthetic oil. I ran motorcycle semi syn oil once and it killed my clutch within a day. SO now I just use bulk (cheap basic Honda oil). :cry: Luckily the 200 has a centrifugal force filter which works pretty good. :cry:

I am using Amsoil 10w40 and it has worked really well in my XR200. It is synthetic oil, and the clutch does not slip at all. I will take your advice and buy 10w40 motorcycle oil next time.

Uh no. :cry: Just buy motorcycle oil. Motorcycle oil contains stuff that doesn't let the clutch clip, whereas auto oil doesn't. The main problem with synthetic oils is it's too slippery, which means good for the motor, bad for the clutch. Street bikes can use Syn oil because they or at least most use a dry clutch. MXA did a big article on these a few months ago, so if you or one of your friends has the mag, it's worth reading. Also with little XR's, the clutches are only from 3-5 plates, so they are even more susceptible to automotive synthetic oil. I ran motorcycle semi syn oil once and it killed my clutch within a day. SO now I just use bulk (cheap basic Honda oil). :cry: Luckily the 200 has a centrifugal force filter which works pretty good. :cry:

This info about synthetic oils is completely untrue! There is nothing wrong with synthetic oils as long as you use the correct stuff. Use a motorcycle specific synthetic and you will be fine. A synthetic will take the heat better than any conventional oil. Synthetic is not any slipperier than a conventional oil, and you can break in a new engine with synthetic. These are all old wives tales. Get a good motorcycle synthetic or conventional oil and you will be good to go. I use the synthetic Mobil 1 MX4t or Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle oils and they work great. They hold up better than conventional oils in all situations.

Air cooled motorcycles run hot. I recommend never touching on with your hand or you'll burn yourself one day.

Dwight_Rudder, who has raced XR's for a long long time recommends synthetic motorcycle oil. If you do a search in the XR250/400 forum, you can read up on his thoughts on motorcycle oil.

The conventional wisdom is to break in a motorcycle with regular oil to let the rings seat. Then switch to synthetic oil.

Most of the problems created when switching from regular oil to synthetic oil in older cars/motorcycles is due to the sludge left behind by the conventional oil. The old varnish becomes a problem, not the new oil.

Any multigrade synthetic auto oil that is "30 wt" (0-30, 5-30, 10-30) has a "EC" rating and should be avoided due to the "slick" additives. The only synthetic auto oil that has a following is Mobil 1 15-50.

Honda makes two synthetic motor oils. With and without "Moly". The one with moly is for CRF engines that do NOT share oil with the clutch.

Most oil additives are "snake oil". Avoid like the plague. If you are curious, bring up Google and type in "Prolong FTC" This will find the complaints by the Federal Trade Commission against Prolong and possible settlements.

This info about synthetic oils is completely untrue! There is nothing wrong with synthetic oils as long as you use the correct stuff. Use a motorcycle specific synthetic and you will be fine. A synthetic will take the heat better than any conventional oil. Synthetic is not any slipperier than a conventional oil, and you can break in a new engine with synthetic. These are all old wives tales. Get a good motorcycle synthetic or conventional oil and you will be good to go. I use the synthetic Mobil 1 MX4t or Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle oils and they work great. They hold up better than conventional oils in all situations.

Like I said, I ran Motul semi syn sotorcycle oil and my clutch was worthless after a day. Unfortunatly, I bought 3 gallons of it and I had to sell the rest. (at a loss) My friend bought it and put it in his 450f and 250f without a problem. But they, have way more disc and heavier springs. So I guess they are unaffected. Every time I've tried to make the switch, the same thing happens. My clutch slips. When I use regular Honda oil, I only replace my clutch every year or so.

Well, I cut out a gasket to stop the oil leak, and it worked perfectly. However, I broke a bolt off, and had to remove the RH cover again, and cute a whole new gasket again. Big mistake.

When I was bolting the RH cover back on, I heard a dstinct *CRACK* sound in it, like I did with the very first one I used when I put it together (I did not use it after I heard the sound). I just left this second cover on, hoping for the best. It was not to be. The cracking sound was the cover cracking, and now oil leaks out of the top, where the mounting bolt hole tab cracked, where it is connected to the cover.

I am getting real sick of having to repair this bike every time I ride it, the welding job I did on the frame did not hold up, either. When I had the RH cover off, I took the cover off of the centrifugal oil cleaner, and a LOT of oil shavings were present, which is very interesting. It still burns oil, it will puff out a thin blue cloud whenever I give it a lot of gas, or rev it quickly.

Either way, I have to remove the engine, and replace the valve seals, or the piston and have it rebored. While I am at it, the crankshaft connecting rod needs to be replaced, both crankshaft bearings need to be replaced, and the crankshaft timing chain sprocket needs to be replaced. Oh, and the rear shock has *no* oil in it, and the front forks are rapidly approaching this situation as well. But other than that it runs great!

Like I said, I ran Motul semi syn sotorcycle oil and my clutch was worthless after a day. Unfortunatly, I bought 3 gallons of it and I had to sell the rest. (at a loss) My friend bought it and put it in his 450f and 250f without a problem. But they, have way more disc and heavier springs. So I guess they are unaffected. Every time I've tried to make the switch, the same thing happens. My clutch slips. When I use regular Honda oil, I only replace my clutch every year or so.

I've never had a problem with synthetic motorcycle oil in my bikes. I have never used Motul before, and probably never will since it appears to be a French company. I've had good luck with Mobil 1 MX4T 10W40.