Sign in to follow this  

I'm buying new engine cases, is there a diff between 03 cases and 04 ?

Any one know if there is a diffrence between the 03 cases and the 04 cases? I went to service honda and it looks like the 04 cases have a diffrent part number. My left case took a $hit kicken from the oil pump and my right case has bad oil drain bolt threads so I need both cases. Should I get the 04 cases? :cry:

If the center cases are Mag on the 04, id buy both if I was going that way...

Seems like running one Mag and one Alum. would be asking for some kind of unforseen problem. Something wierd like expansion rates or interference fits or something could cause something you'd never really see coming ya know?

The only difference is that they are only magnesium I believe.

I know the ignition cover is magnesium on the 2004 crf's, but i'm 90% sure the main cases are aluminum. Any one know for sure?

Thats what I thought. So do you think I should get the 2004 cases? or stick with the 2003 cases :cry:

I'd stay with the 03... cases are a very important part. I just bought cases and almost everything else for my 04, catastrophic blow up. the crankshaft blew the cases out

Hey thanks fergmoto for reapling, are you using the 2003 cases in your 04? I seen the pic's of your engine all blown up. :cry: Thats crazy, were you over-reving it when it let go?

I don't think there is any difference so why don't you just stick with the 03 cases. I don't see any advantage of putting 04 cases on your bike :cry:

I was lead to believe they were interchangable. Certain years are for some reason, much cheaper.

Be 100% certain whomever you order your cases from nnows about ordering cases, especially the left one. I just now got one I ordered from service Honda on 7-13-04. Someone on this list later said that without having had certain information, then I would never received them. SO I emailed SH and got the same answer, they were coming from a different warehouse, inspite of asking those specific questions regarding the left case half. I finally called and talked to someone who originally said the same thing, but asked me to call him back as he wanted to check on it. When I called back, he did indeed ask for the SN from the old case half and also for my driver's license number. SO finally after over two months wating, I know have my other case half!!!!

That's weird. Back in 99 I had a 99 CR125 and busted the left side case. I ordered a new one from Manchester Honda with no questions asked. The bike didn't have a serial number on the motor after that and I sold it like that. I did keep the busted case in case something ever happend, I still have it on the shelf in my shop.

As someone on here mentioned....has to do with bikes over 250cc. Never ran in to it with 125's either.

The shift fork shafts have different part numbers, as does the shift spindle for the different years. The lengths may be different for the shift fork shafts. Stick with the 03 cases then you know it'll work.

I just got my new left and right engine cases today. My left cases did not have a serial number plate on it, so it looks like im going to have to take the one off my old case.

When I orderd my new cases my dealer told my that the left cases now hase a new part number. He said that both the 03 and 04 left cases were updated. Here's the part number of my NEW left case box 11200-MEB-306. When I went to service hondas web site I didn't see this part number for any of the left cases, so they must of bin updated just recently :cry: I think the parts guy at my local dealer were I got my cases from said that the 03 and 04 left cases now have the same part numbers? But when I asked RHC he said that the 04 engine will not fit in the 03 frame, so I hope I got the right cases. Does any one now for sure if the 03 and 04 cases are now the same? Is 11200-MEB-306 the right part number for my 2003 crf left case?

all i know is the lower engine mount was wider on the 04 engine and the c7j frame had to have a wider engine mount wellded in the left case may have stayed the same just take a caliper and mesure the mount thickness of that half maybe they just made the mount wider on the right side .

Yep the left cases lower engine mount is wider I just checked it. I put my new cases in the frame and they fit perfectly just as long as I dont use the lower mount spacer.

I took a caliper and mesured both my new left case lower engine mount and my old case lower engine mount. The new case is the same width as the (2003 CASES WITH THE LOWER MOUNT SPACER) So it looks like honda is doing away with that lower engine mount spacer :cry: My left case also came with a longer bolt for were the case is wider at the bottom.

I looks like this new left case is stronger then my old one so I'm happy about that :cry:

I can vouch for what RHC said about the '04 bottom mount being wider than the '03 and '02. I bought a new '04 CRF450 and took the motor out to put in a quad and the quad frame was built the same as it had been by the frame manufacture the previous years for the '02 and '03 motors but when we went to mount the '04 motor, the bottom mount was about a 1/2" off. Surprised us and the frame manufacture! There was absolutely no mention of cases being different on the '04 motor when the new CRF450 was introduced. I'm getting ready to buy another CRF450 and build another quad, I sure hope the motor mounts are the same in '05!