Sign in to follow this  

How to Organize a Ride?

When I first started racing desert here in California, we had some pretty good rules and guidelines for putting on a race. Later, the BLM provided all the "adult superivision" we could stand.

Now that I'm just trail riding for fun, I've considered the idea of organizing a trail ride every now and then. But the possibility of being sued, arrested, verbally abused or having to suffer any of the unpleasant side effects of being the host of an event pretty much scares the idea right out of my head!

Yeah, I could ask the BLM for their rules and regulations, and I'll have to abide by them if I do put a ride together in an OHV area. But I'd like to start here at Thumper Talk first, and ask for ideas, advice, cautions and so forth from people who have already been there and done that. Stories about both success and failure are equally welcome. Have at it, and thanks!

The sheetiron 300 is one of the biggest DS rides Ive done, over 300 riders for 300 miles from

Stoneyford - Ft Bragg & back. We recently did a small ride, -20 riders from Auburn - Boomtown.

We only had 2 injuries, nothing major, no hassles from rangers or cops, was a great ride.

I think under 60 riders you dont need any permits. Draw up a waiver if your charging

money for your route, roll chart, bag transport, etc...

If you keep it small & list it in the SW forum you shouldnt have any issues. In the end

everyone is responsible for themselves and I dont think you can be held accountable.

Sure you can be sued for anything these days, but winning the case isnt always the outcome.

If you include private land in your ride things might be different, but just getting together

for a trail ride, even if you plan it & make roll charts shouldnt pose any issues...?

If you charge an entry fee then you fall under the same rules as a race and that means anything over 49 riders and you will need permits, insurance, etc.

BUT, if you do a charity event and ask for a donation and then donate all of your proceeds to a charity you should be good to go. We used to do several events a year before our club went belly up. Poker runs are a fun event to put on. Just make sure you have several riders sweep the course looking for stragglers.

If I were you, I would still check with the BLM/USFS just to make sure. If memory serves me, the BLM will waive the permit fee for a charity event.

check with the land manager where you will be riding (blm or usfs). then you'll know how far under the radar you want to stay. every office is different and some of them are real jerks, but many are nice folks (like the ones here in eastern nevada). if it turns out you need a permit and you don't feel like getting one, then don't advertise it on the web as an organized ride.

if you're just talking about 20 guys from TT getting together, you shouldn't have much problem, but if your local government is petty and bitchy, you might still have to try extra hard to keep it quiet and always refer to it as a few friends meeting to ride, rather than an 'organized ride'.