Sign in to follow this  

what chain

Depends on what kind of riding you do...... Racing? Non o-ring. Recreational ? O or Xring chains give significantly longer life.....

O/X ring chains cause greater friction loss than a standard roller chain. I replaced the O-ring chain on my XR200 right after I bought it with a "high quality" standard chain.

After replacing it the rear wheel rolled like a ten speed bicycle and I swear that it made more difference in performance than any thing else (free mods, cobra pipe, jetting, Uni-filter etc) that I did to the the bike with the exception of putting the stock size rear tire back on it.

Going back to the stock size rear tire actually made the clutch stop slipping and actually increased the acceleration......Karl

Here's the skinny on chain. A non o-ring chain does roll easier when on your stand. After a few miles the O/X rings "warm up" and roll easy as well.(easier!) The o/x-rings keep the lube where its needed, while a non-o-ring loses everything pretty quick. You can even find strength and longivity graphs of most popular chain makers if you look up their websites. After one good water crossing, your non o-ring chain is probably dragging MORE power from your bike than the o-ring. Non o-ring chains wear out(and the sprockets) very fast compared to o-ring chains. No comparison !! Of course If you're a factory sponsored big buck supercross star and have a chain sponsor then you can afford a new chain every moto. When I raced back in the 80's I had a chain sponsor; Tsubaki. They made both types as most chain makers do, so I get my info from experience. When you are pre-running down in Baja, the last thing you need is a chain failure. A non o-ring chain will never last in harsh environments. I say stick with the O/X-ring chains unless you want to replace these items MUCH more often. There was a reason Honda installed them on these bikes. THEY ARE SUPERIOR to non o-ring chain !! Leave your chain alone and save up your money for a Works Performance shock, or something along those lines ! Thats my $.02

Interesting comment on the o-rings heating up and then not as much friction... :cry:

Next time you've been out riding for a while, stop and feel just how much heat your chain has built up. O-ring or non !!

Hot or not, mine still has more friction than a non-oring.