Sign in to follow this  

Tell me you didn't want one of these when you were a kid.

Yeah, O.K., I guess it just depends on when you were a kid? :cry:

I would have stolen from my dead grandmother to get one of these. :cry:

peeler1.jpg

69Krates1.jpg

In 1968 schwinn introduced there most awesome Stingray ever! The KRATE series,modle on dragester,there Krate's sported a 20x16 format(20 in rear and 16 inch front wheels) springier front folks a shock absorbing sissy Bar,a mag sprocket (that resembled a Cragar s/s wheel) A front drum brake a kool 5speed stick shift!

WOW!...kids went crazy for theses bike! They wanted to be 'jungle jim' or Don 'big daddy' Gartelits,blasting down the 1/4 at Pomana,Lions or O.C.I.R!!

The first year (68) Schwinn introduced 4 bikes, The apple krate,Orange krate, LEMON PEELER and the Pea picker,all in kool vibrant kolours(or kolors)Kool orange,Kool red Kool lemon,and ....i don't know the name of the green(kool green)

:cry: :cry: :cry:

:cry: :cry: :lol: :lol: I had TWO of those things, both red :cry: My dad kept buying em for me and I kept trying to trade 'em to the neighbors for BMX bikes. :cry: maybe thats why the folks quit buying me stuff? :lol::cry:

:cry::lol: :lol: :lol: I had TWO of those things, both red :cry: My dad kept buying em for me and I kept trying to trade 'em to the neighbors for BMX bikes. :cry: maybe thats why the folks quit buying me stuff? :lol::cry:

:cry::lol: :lol:

I had a red one, was stock for a month or so until my step brother got out the torch...

We made it into a chopper with another set of forks welded on, put on a steering

wheel from a go kart, kept the bananna seat & stick shift. Nothing like riding 2

up with cute 13 year old girls on your bananna... :cry: :cry:

Wish I still had it... :cry:

We made it into a chopper with another set of forks welded on, put on a steering

wheel from a go kart, kept the bananna seat & stick shift.

:cry::cry: :cry: :cry:

P.S. these things are quite collectable and worth a pretty penny. :cry:

I had a regular Sting-Ray.

I wanted one, then I watched a kid try to jump one.

The springer fork absorbed then unwound.

Pitched the kid right over the bars as he took off.

Nasty cut on his chin.

For me the U.C. Berkeley campus was one big BMX park.

:cry::lol: :lol: :lol: I had TWO of those things, both red :cry: My dad kept buying em for me and I kept trying to trade 'em to the neighbors for BMX bikes. :cry: maybe thats why the folks quit buying me stuff? :lol::cry:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

All I had was a purple Western Auto "buzz-bike".. :cry::lol::lol:

yeah, they were pretty cool, but my brother and i talked my dad into buying us mattel stallions instead. they looked like a stingray, but had a heavier staniless steel frame, and an enclosed spring rear suspension that looked like motorcycle shock absorbers. we lived out in the country, and you could say did our first woods riding on those things. the "shocks" helped. there is one on ebay right now for $1500.

orange crate was the best of the stingrays imho.

Nice bikes. I remember having a POS Murray with a white banana seat. I could wheelie that thing for quite a distance but never had the style of one of the Schwinns. :cry:

I wanted one of those sooooo bad. I had to settle for the regular stingray. Dad made it into a chopper with some pipes added to the forks and a big sissy bar. Anyone else do that? I had a stars and stripes "Captain America" helmet too.

I wanted one of those sooooo bad. I had to settle for the regular stingray. Dad made it into a chopper with some pipes added to the forks and a big sissy bar. Anyone else do that? I had a stars and stripes "Captain America" helmet too.

If I modified my bike in any way I would get an a$$ woopin with a shoe or wood'n spoon. :cry:

I am proud to say I have never owned a banna seat bike. A friend of mine had one of those special stingrays though.

I also had one of these in Orange. Mine had those Curled bars (we called 'em rams' horns)that came out later. The bars were cool for riding fast, but sucked for popping wheelies! Sheesh! I guess I really am getting old!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Me too!!!!!! :cry: :cry:

I keep looking at garage sales for just a plain 70's bike with a banana seat and big sissy bar so I can do the chopper thing again

Had one....not a "Krate", no springer fork, but it was a 5 speed and had everything else.... :cry:

I miss it...but have lots of other cool toys to make up for it! :cry:

There were three of those things in my neighborhood back in the day....but was'nt there a white one too? If my memory serves me like it should, I remember a red one an orange one and a white one....Ghost something??? :cry:

I have to admit, we made fun of those kids like nobody's business. :cry: