Sign in to follow this  

OT: Nitrogen...

We were talking about using nitrogen (in MX bike tires) a while back. Anyway, I saw @ Costco that they now offer nitrogen in their tire shops.

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that the NASCAR teams use nitrogen in their tires to reduce the chance of blowouts. Rubber tires contain hydrocarbons, when tires get hot the hydrocarbons vaporize. Hot air inside the tires over 140-160 degF (60-70 degC) leads to a small explosion as the hydrocarbons burn. Thus, a tire blowout.

If they use 100% nitrogen there is no oxygen to fuel a tire explosion.

That's what I remember reading.

+sean

The benefits of using Nitrogen are:

1. It does not contain any moisture which is the cause for greater and more unpredictable variance in pressure change between hot and cold tires.

2.The nitrogen molecule is larger and does not pass through rubber over time decreasing the tire pressure as oxygen does.

Do any of you, have an idea about how much the temperature changes in a motocross tire during a race :cry:

I'm not sure but I don't think it is that much we are talking about.

depends on where ya race and how much wheel spin you are getting...

but I agree that an MX tire doesnt need nitrogen but a on road race tire needs nitrogen.

I think you'd be surprised how much the tire temp changes. There was a thread on this a while back.

The numbers were more significant than I thought. Someone go search and find it... cuz I'm too lazy! :cry:

Anyone who's ever rode a sportbike thru a set of twisties can tell you the tires get hot enough that you don't want to hold your hand on them. In that case nitrogen could be warranted, but I doubt it. If you get your knobbies that hot, you need to quit your day job and give RC and Bubba a run for their money.

Isnt nitrogen heavier? Also isnt it flamable? I dont remember i hated chemistry.

nitrogen is slightly lighter than air and is not flamable. it is an inert gas.

The air you breath is 79% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and 1% other gasses. Kind of reminds me of selling bottled water. :cry:

I'm just kidding I know pure nitrogen has it's benefits. :cry:

thats the air you breath...the air coming out of a compressor can have a lot of moisture in it...especially if you just go to a gas station who probably never drains their tanks.

Nitrogen is consistent...and when dialing something in, you want to eliminate as many variable as possible...pressure changes would be a big one!

I run nitrogen in my tires the pressure is more constant from hot to cold,just remember nitogen is inert dosent burn or do much of anything unless you go scuba diving,then it's a whole new ball game,I taught scuba years ago.

Nitrogen isn't an inert gas, only Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton and Xenon are, but it definitely helps keep tire pressuse constant.

Nitrogen isn't an inert gas, only Helium, Neon, Argon, Krypton and Xenon are, but it definitely helps keep tire pressuse constant.

u forgot radon(Rn). technically it isn't a noble/inert gas but, it is generally considered inert b/c it is a very stable + unreactive element.