Sign in to follow this  

Valve Clatter?

Bike is CRF250X. I'm the second owner and have ridden it 3 times. First owner says he did already have the valves adjusted. Bike starts fine and seems to run fine.

However, if I'm in too high a gear and lug the motor, I hear what sounds like a little clatter sound. My previous bike was a DRZ400 and it was almost impossible to lug that thing because it had so much low-down torque.

Is what I'm hearing normal or should I be concerned?

My R has a sort of built-in tapping sound. I only hear it when it's idling. I originally thought it was the valves but it actually sounds like it's coming from the exhaust? A couple fellow CRF owners have the same sound so I'm certain it's supposed to be there.

On a positive note, I checked my valves Saturday for the first time. The bike has probably 40+ hours on it (I know I'm way late!! :cry:). Anyway, valves are SPOT ON!! .005 in, .011 out. I couldn't be happier. This bike rips! No oil issues, no valve issues, just the most fun bike in the world!! I don't hit the rev limiter very often, as I really think I'm faster when I shift at about 10k. Any higher than that and I just don't see much of a speed increase. I've heard people talk about "having to ride it like a 2stroke, blah blah, but I get the most power when I avoid the rev limiter. Could be part of the reason my valves are still good but either way, I'm stoked to no end about it!! Woohoo!! :cry:

It's the clutch plates chattering. Not a bad thing. We call it "death rattle" cuz the bike is pretty close to stalling at that point.

My X does the same thing. I think its the chain. I wouldn't worry about it.

It is NOT clutch plates!Your carb slide slaps alittle close to idle.Almost everybody adjusts the chain like a 2 smoke (3 fingers)DONT!When it is on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground the chain is at it's tightest.Roll your wheel feeling for the tightest spot and there will be a spot especialy if you have that stock chain (junk)still on ,then get it to where you think its tight (not binding)IT'S NOT.take your shock bolt out and raise your wheel,you will see it only gets looser.CLAY

It is NOT clutch plates!Your carb slide slaps alittle close to idle.Almost everybody adjusts the chain like a 2 smoke (3 fingers)DONT!When it is on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground the chain is at it's tightest.Roll your wheel feeling for the tightest spot and there will be a spot especialy if you have that stock chain (junk)still on ,then get it to where you think its tight (not binding)IT'S NOT.take your shock bolt out and raise your wheel,you will see it only gets looser.CLAY

When was the last time you took basic geometry buddy? The chain will be tightest when the wheel is perpendicular to an imaginery vertical line drawn through the center of the front sprocket. :cry:

Its definately chain slap. My 8 yr old even spoted my bike doing it. He was like "Dad your chain is jumping all over the place!"...... :cry:

I have heard that the TM design chain slide helps eliminate this problem. Havent tried it myself.

But yea the X chain slaps bad. I noticed that right away.

Clay is right. If you look at the bike on the stand the lower idler wheel comes into play putting tension on the chain.

This is the tightest point because of the tension from the idler.

One other thing to remember when adjusting the chain is there will be tight and loose spots, so spin the wheel and adjust it at the tightest point.

The good news is that if it IS the Valves making noise, at least they are not tight!

If they WERE tight and you rode it, the only noise would be the swearing and the sound of Tools flying across the Garage because you just realized that all the rumors are true!