Sign in to follow this  

CRF manual cam chain tensioner picture

A new CRF manual cam chain tesioner was shown at the 2004 Intermot Euro Motorcycle show. Eric Gorr was over there shooting pictures and I figured you guys might want to see this. I left the pic really big for details sake so I didn't link it direct. It's here : http://ericgorr.com/images/Intermot/i59.jpg

I don't have my notes handy but I'll get more info on this and post it.

I just put up about 85 other pictures from the show on Eric's site if you guys are interested. There is some cool stuff you won't see in MXA :cry:

Why?

Is it better than automatic? :cry:

The automatic tensioners have the unfortunate habit of retracting at high speed. If this happens, catostrophic engine damage usually follows.

glad to see it coming to the crf.ive been using them for several years inlcuding the last few years on the drz.

simple,usually cheap and super effective. :cry:

Wow....looks just like the one on my 1971 CL100II.....

Timeless engineering I guess :cry:

It's nice to see the aftermarket addressing the issue, even if it isn't an American company. I'm sure others will follow suit at some point. Ibt's pretty logical to have manual as an option. As Burned pointed out , it's not like we haven't been doing it on drag race four cylinders and other engines forever.

if your serious about engine reliabilty,manual is the only way to fly.im suprised its taken this long for them to come along for the crf.ive been putting a "slug" in the stock unit for a couple years now.

A.P.E. unit

DSCF0009.JPG

bitech unit

DSCF0002.JPG

yes,i ordered all the suzuki manual tensioners a couple years ago to test fit them all.the busa one is the unit that fit.

now all the packages say they fit drz as well.

early drz tensioners were pure junk.the updated it 4 times. :cry:

What kind of torque spec is the driver set to? Seems like it would be really easy to over torque that thing....Is it like 10 inch pounds and then backed off a quarter turn or something? Or snug it till it quits makin noise while running?

couples way to do it.the following has never failed.

when i initially install it i make sure i feel some tension on the guide.start the motor.with it idleing,back the adjuster off very slowly till you hear the chain start to rattle.once it starts to rattle you can feel the adjuster vibrating.then you turn the adjuster back in just till the rattle quits.lock down the nut and your done.

another side benefit is that since there is a spring pushing on the guide constantly the chain tends not to stretch as fast as with a auto tensioner.

i have never adjusted either of my manual units since installed.ive installed hundreds of them in sport bikes (f2,f3 and f4's mostly) and have never had to readjust.

at the shop we call auto cam chain tensioners "automatic cam chain stretchers". :cry:

I have an F3 and I would liek to replace the tensioner with the manual one. Does the procedure you outlined above apply?

Mhhh, interesting.

Just a question: does somebody know if CRF equipped with manual tensioner has ever experienced intake valves problem?

I've heard that one of the theories was about not stable cam chain tension ingenerating resonance into the valve train. Adding this to the fact that, since 04 on 450 Honda has changed the tensioner with a new one..........

If related, I'd like to see one of the 250F(X) guys to go for it and try.....

I would like to get one of these. Does anyone know if they are available yet??

I am going to do a rebuild soon... and would like to change it out for a manual unit on my 02