Sign in to follow this  

can you make a drz turn better?

hey guys, i've never posted, in this forum, but this question is for my computer illiterate dad. he's got a 2000 DRZ and after riding my CRF for a while in the rocks, he wanted me to ask the experts, a.k.a. burned if anything like triple clamps or anything like that help its lack of turning ability. i rode his while he rode mine, and i noticed that it felt A LOT heavier than my 450.....i know that it is, but can anything help the top heaviness feeling of that thing? after riding his compared to mine, my hands could barely let go of the handlebars. i never get that on my bike, whats the deal? :cry: thanks guys. :cry:

:cry:

proper fork springs matched to his weight would help out alot. if he doesn't weigh 165~170lbs then they are the wrong springs.

thats actually right around where he weighs....maybe a little closer to 190 with all gear on, etc, but thats relitively close. he's not a super fast rider, but he does want it to handle as good as it can.

How much time has he spent even "dialing in" the suspension? That really helps a lot. Other than that, a trip to Race Tech or similair suspension shop might be in order. the DRZ wasn't really designed to be a racer, just a fun bike. :cry:

O/T, how do you like your z-start? where do you do most of your riding here in Colorado? :cry:

Set the sag on the rear shock to 90-100mm. If it is an "E" model it has good suspension that is fully adjustable. If it is an "S" model, it has the older suspension on it which is non adjustable. You can Race Tech that stuff, but it won't be as nice as the fully adjustable cartridge items on all the 2002 and newer models.

Mike

Well another thing that has an effect on how the steering feels in just ergonomics on the bars and placement etc.

I don't know how tall he is but the bars are way too far back and low for me and a lot of other guys. Also I think the stock bars are swept a bit much for my taste.

I am running Tag Matrix clamps which move the placement way forward and some T2 bars which have way less sweep. It gives it a much nicer MX type feel and is way more comfortable. Lots of guys use bar risers also to solve this problem in a cheaper fashion.

I think that makes a huge difference on turnability. :cry:

thanks for the replies guys. sounds like we might have some suspension work ahead of us. o ya, and i LOVE LOVE LOVE my Z-start. it is the single most awesome mod you can put on a bike IMO. my dad also has one on his DRZ. we do most of our riding in the mountains where we live. where at in CO are you?

I'm in the Franktown area along the Front range. We do a lot of Western Slope riding and in Moab as well

maybe a little closer to 190 with all gear on,

he probably needs stiffer springs then. if you go to race tech's website and look around the'll tell you the exact setup you need for weight and style of riding. you just have to put in some info first.

Maybe this isn't the answer you're looking for, but you might want to consider the bikes' relative gearing and flywheel effect. Depending on how the DRZ and CRF are geared, ... and depending on how you ride the bikes, ... if the DRZ was turning more revs than the CRF was, then it would naturally be harder to turn. I assume you get a lot more power out of the CRF, and maybe you end up revving the DRZ by comparison. Try lugging the DRZ in a lower gear. You might find that it suddenly feels a lot lighter and easier to turn.

Regards,

MTB