Sign in to follow this  

Just a reminder...

Saw a pretty nifty crash today at Elsinor MX... guy was down and his buddy reached him, and STARTED TO TAKE OFF HIS HELMET! I don't know if the guy who was down was rational & conscious, although he didn't appear to be moving at that time, and he might have 'just' broken an arm or something... but PLEASE, everyone, remind your riding buddies that if you go down and cannot rationally communicate your injuries, if there is ANY chance of a neck/back injury do NOT remove your helmet!!

A friend of mine has a little sticker on the back of his helmet, that says 'DO NOT REMOVE HELMET'. I'm thinking of doing the same, it can't hurt...

:cry:

On a side note, when i crashed at Elsi in the whoops and after i got up and all i gave the medic i little scare (not intentionaly, just out of comfort) because since my neck was sore i reached up and cracked my next with my hands. His eyes lit up like damn Christmas lights.

On a side note, when i crashed at Elsi in the whoops and after i got up and all i gave the medic i little scare (not intentionaly, just out of comfort) because since my neck was sore i reached up and cracked my next with my hands. His eyes lit up like damn Christmas lights.

I bet they did! :cry: :cry:

I should add there IS one exception to this general rule... if there is no breathing taking place and you need to establish an airway, or do artificial respiration, yes, remove the helmet. If a person can't breath, they're toast anyway unless you can get it going again, whether the neck is injured or not.

Its not a bad idea for anyone who wanders the back country to have some basic emergency first aids skills, and recommend taking a class at a local community college, or even through Adventure 16 or something if you have no experience with it...

:cry:

I use a label maker to put the words "DO NOT REMOVE HELMET IF BREATHING" on the chin of ALL my helmets, if your on your back they will not see a sticker on the back of the helmet.

James.

thats what i thought but i just wanted to be shure

Hey Brian, tell your friends too, ok? Its ALWAYS better to wait for the medics to show up! :cry:

Taking a first aid class and a cpr class is a great idea. I decided to do this because nobody that I rode with had any training. I learned alot and go back every 2 years to get recertified and freshen up. If you have kids that ride you should do this for them.