Sign in to follow this  

Cam chain tensioner cover...

I worked on reshimming my intakes last week and wasn't able to loosen the phillips-head screw that allows access to backing the tensioner off. I simply removed the entire part and did my thing w/o any problems. Has anyone else been unable to get that screw loose?

Even when I had the whole tensioner out, I still couldn't get the screw out. :cry:

I got the philips screw out on the bench, no problem.

I tried finding a spot to jam the thing against and couldn't - I don't have a vice. I was a bit pressed for time so I'll get it next time.

I've had the same problem.

I ended up taking the whole tensioner out, putting it in a vise and getting the cover off with a cordless drill w/ phillips bit.

My one complaint with the CRF - why the hell is that screw a phillips head? The Yamis have a hex head - why can't Honda? I figure I have about two good times before that thing strips out and I have to mess with the whole dang assembly.

Yea, I was going to chime in that you need to reset that there thingy ma-bobber.

So, make sure you get it out! I'm not 100% certain it's necessary, because I have never removed mine.

But I do recall reading other posts that state you are supposed to reset the thing by releasing the tension... then letting it return.(like if you had not removed it and used the homemade tool)

My one complaint with the CRF - why the hell is that screw a phillips head? The Yamis have a hex head - why can't Honda? I figure I have about two good times before that thing strips out and I have to mess with the whole dang assembly.

Honda updated the design for the 04's. It is a hex type like the yamabogs. CRF450R_large_03.jpg

The 04 style will work on the 02-03 models as well. A recommended upgrade do to the fact some of the 02-03's tensioners have failed.

The new bolt and washer appear to be $2.61 + shipping from servicehonda.com. I'm not sure if I'm reading the fish right, but they appear to be parts #14 & 15 on the cam chain/tensioner sheet.

The 04 style will work on the 02-03 models as well. A recommended upgrade do to the fact some of the 02-03's tensioners have failed.

The new bolt and washer appear to be $2.61 + shipping from servicehonda.com. I'm not sure if I'm reading the fish right, but they appear to be parts #14 & 15 on the cam chain/tensioner sheet.

The Service Honda fiches are all screwed up, they have the wrong numbers on the lines that point to the individual parts in several of the diagrams. I always cross-check them against Planet Honda's fiches, which seem to be correct and are much better quality.