Sign in to follow this  

Water/coolant in oil

1997 KLX300. The engine was rebuilt top end and piston about 1 year ago by the dealer.

I found water in my oil about a month ago. I thought it was from stalling it and dropping it in the creek after several creek crossings 3 months ago. I changed the oil about 3 times to clean it up and it was good. Sat I rode about 30 minutes and saw there is water in the oil again. I drained and changed the oil ran the bike at a fast idle for 10 minutes twice and the oil looks fine. I am trying to figure out if the water was residual from last time or if I have a leak from the coolant into the oil. The bike runs strong, no steam or white smoke when I start it up. My best guess is the oil seal on the water pump has a small leak. I am going to spend a couple of days playing with this and ride 1 more time before taking to the dealer.

Has anyone had a similar experience??

Thanx,

Tim

There is a weep hole that runs from the cavity between the oil and water seals on the water pump shaft, exiting at the bottom of the case below the water pump. If it is not plugged, water from a leaking seal will run out there. It won't get into the oil. If the hole is open the only source of coolant in the oil is the head gasket or cracks in the cylinder or head.

KLXD,

I will look more at the weep hole. It is dry. Should I poke it with something to see if it is clear?

If I had a blown head gasket or cracked block, wouldn't it run bad, hydrolock, be a pain to start, or have steam shooting out the tail pipe?

Now I did notice after the dealer rebuilt it I started getting dust sticking to a little leaking oil on the outside where the head gasket is.

There is still a slim chance it is residual from when I dropped it in the creek. I will troubleshoot tonight and try to ride it this week night or weekend.

Thank you. Any other ideas.

I don't think a crack is likely just a possibility.

I think you could poke a toothpick or other soft probe in the hole without a problem. Something sharp might bugger up the oil seal it you hit it. I can't remember the exact orientation of the hole, whether it would guide the probe into the seal itself.

As for the other questions, it depends where the gasket leaks. It could leak water into the crankcase without leaking into the cylinder. If the leak is between the jacket and the cylinder you should see the coolant system overpressurize during running from combustion gasses getting into the water jacket. The water would only cause steam or hydrolocking at start after sitting for a while.

Rode for 1.5 hours last night no more water in oil. I am not convinced it is ok yet but more hopeful. I guess it was residual left over from before. I am so glad I do not have to tear it apart looking at head gasket etc.