Sign in to follow this  

Bike still won't start

Okay, now I feel like sceaming. I rode the bike with a bent head pipe for half a day since I did not notice the bend after I crashed. I put a new head pipe on and the bike would not start. It looked like I had water in my oil so i changed the upper and lower gaskets. Got done on Saturday, kicked it over and all it would do is idle for about 1 or 2 seconds and then die. I am wondering what the heck to check next. Is it maybe just a coincidence that the head pipe was bent and now the bike won't start. Funny but with the bent head pipe it starts very easily, but as soon as I give it gas, it dies. Could I have overheated it or messed something else up by riding with a bent head pipe?

Any ideas? Also, when i am kicking it over it smells like unburnt gas from the exhaust if that helps.

Sort of sounds like something in the exhaust is plugging it up when you give it gas (low idle doesn't send exhaust packing against an opening but blippin the throttle would), just a guess!.

Don :cry:

Not to sound like a jackass, but it sounds flooded.... :cry:

the water in the oil thing is serious if you didnt drown the bike somewhere.

drain the carb too, may have water in it...always a pain to clear...

It runs so you know you have spark...so something else coincedently went wrong too.

Make sure the float isnt stuck...

How bad was the pipe bent ? enough to cook a valve ? that's alot of backpressure if the pipe was real restrictive.

Well, I drained the carb and then put it bak on. Then gas came out of the carb like crazy when I turned ont eh petcock. I then wrapped on the carb a bit a it stopped. Float must have been stuck or something. Anyway, the pipe is not super bent, but enough to restrict some flow.

Water in the engine side can only result from a bad upper or lower gasket right? I changed both. AS to flooded, I have let the thing sit overnight, I kicked it with the gas off, i did all the flooded remedies and still nothing. I was able to get it to start somewhat, but just could not keep it running. Maybe only for a few seconds. Also, I did not drown the bike. i only ride MX here in So cal and, as you know Shawn, they don't water the tracks that much!

Did you have the carb apart? Slide out? There's 2 pieces to it and if you put the small part in upside down it will run like crap and sometimes not start.

My 450 wouldn't start after sitting for 3-4 weeks and it turned out the pilot jet was plugged.