Sign in to follow this  

TE250 Ride Report

I met up with a bunch of guys, many on Husky's, for a ride in Marysville yesterday. It rained off and on but that kept the ground wet and the dust away. The area is basically sand and soft dry sand might be a little hard on a new engine since it is so easy to get the revs up.

When I picked the bike up ten days ago it was about 70 degrees and the e-start got the bike running in about half a second. Since then it has been quite a bit cooler and it takes two or three attempts to get running. The day hovered around the 60-65 degree mark which while a little cool, it was still warm enough for just a long sleeve jersey.

Once warmed up and ready to go, the jetting feels about perfect to me. Backing off the throttle at high rpm's yields not coughing or sputtering. It might be a little rich off the bottom but I sensed no real bogging. I did not intentionally make the bike bog since it is new and that is not good for the engine. Bottom end power feels similar to the only othe 250 four stroke I have ridden, the Honda CRF250X. In the mid range and higher rpm's the bike really rips. I was able to lift the front end with only a slight tug on the bars in 2nd and 3rd gears. The bike almost feels like a 250 two stroke on top. Acceleration also feels like a 250 two stroke on top as well. On the faster straight it definitely picked up speed quick enough for me. I like the big power of my Husaberg 501, now for sale, but in the woods, I certainly don't miss it.

The forks feel pretty good overall but I have yet to adjust the clickers to see what improvement that will bring. Of course the suspension needs time to break in anyway. As is, I the shock acted like it had too much compression damping and maybe not enoug rebound. Flyred said his 510's clickers were no where near the settings in the manual. I never thought about that so I didn't think to check. I'll verify tonight what all the settings are and what they should be.

As far as handling goes, the bike seems stable enough and corners pretty well but there were no real fast sections and with the suspension not dialed, it was tough to really assess cornering abilities.

I didn't notice the IMS tank as being too large but I don't think it holds more than about 2.8 gallons. Tonight I'll top off the tank and then drain it back into a gas can and see what the full capacity is. My guess is about 2.75 or so.

That's about it for now. I had a lot of people wanting to ride the bike but I didn't know most of them. Once it is broken in it won't be a big deal but on day one, I am real choosey.

If I can think of anything else, I'll add it later.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Thanks for posting the ride report. I was curious about the Husqvarna 250 along with Honda's 250X. The larger 4 strokes can wear a guy out in the woods and the new 250s look like a nice way to go. I think you are going to love that bike compared to the Husaberg while riding in the tight stuff, also it is a very nice looking bike! :cry: Have fun breaking it in. :cry:

Andy :cry:

Hi Greg, Thanks for the chance to ride your bike last sunday! I rode a WR250, TC450, & your TE250 and I actually turned the quickest lap on your 250 because of the low effort in controlling the bike and more concetration on picking a good line. Thanks again Mike. :cry:

Greg, I spoke with HuskyNW last night, he had nothing but praises for the te250! For it to be rated well by a 'berg owner like yourself is saying something.

I got my headlight problem fixed and changed the oil for the first time last night. Tonight I'll check the valves and I am ready for the weekend. I hope the weather will be good.

The bike is great so far and will no doubt only get better. I still love my 'berg but I may need to sell it. Money is tight and we just found out no raises or year end bonus at work this year.

Greg

changed the oil for the first time last night.

your not using that old Reline oil are you :cry:

Just posted a few pics of our Husky Demo Day. Here are the links. It was really cool getting to ride so many different models at one location.

http://www.taskysmetriccycle.com/id49.html

http://www.taskysmetriccycle.com/id50.html

Jeff

Why are most of the pictures of you guys standing around comparing after-market graphics kits?

Looks like some good riding.

Look Mom! I'm on the TV! Blasted paparazzi. No privacy anywhere these days.

Great shots of the demo day, Jeff. Thanks for not showing the one of my crash. :cry:

Just posted a few pics of our Husky Demo Day. Here are the links. It was really cool getting to ride so many different models at one location.

http://www.taskysmetriccycle.com/id49.html

http://www.taskysmetriccycle.com/id50.html

Jeff

Nice pics. Looks like some fun riding. I love seeing all those Huskys! Here's a few shots I found on the web. Huskys, gotta love em!

ktl...

305_31058450480.jpg

360_11067533757.jpg

:jawdrop:Wow...the tricks you can do with mirrors!! :cry:

(just kidding...I'm actually drooling :cry:)

305_31058450480.jpg