Sign in to follow this  

2005 Suzuki DR-Z400SM will be sold in the U.S.A.!!!

I am a little disappointed, I would have thought they would have the FCR on an SM model, and a 2 pot caliper is not enough. Other than that it is a step in the right direction. :cry:

so i spoke with a dealership near me and they told me that they're not even going to order any of these drz400sm's. stating that they weigh 40 pounds more than a drz and "the drz is a pig to begin with". so i heard slow and heavy.

You wrote that same thing on another post, you must not like the bike. Go to Suzuki's website, it's listed as 4 pounds heavier than the drz400S. So all the same weight saving tricks for the S are probably good here also. It looks like the tail light and blinker setup is different on the drz400SM, a better look to it.

so i spoke with a dealership near me and they told me that they're not even going to order any of these drz400sm's. stating that they weigh 40 pounds more than a drz

Four pounds is something which can be much more easily (also less expensive and time consuming) dealt with than building a supermoto out of any DR-Z the old fashioned way... :lol: What one does is buy one (and hopefully trimming atleast some of the fat off of it) and you suddenly own the ultimate poor-man's supermoto!!! Who can complain about that? :cry: It is what it is. The DR-Z 400SM has been a long time coming, and is very welcome to certain people. :cry: Those who will be purchasing a DR-Z 400SM are those people who are going to be thankful they don't have to spend thousands more dollars on top of buying a bike in order to transform it into a supermoto. The DR-Z 400SM is going to save people a lot of money, a lot of headaches, and will bring more people to the sport. :cry: That's a good thing. :cry: 'nuff said. :cry:

Thanks HondaXR650R! I don't think I ever stated an opinion on this forum but I can't take everyone bashing this bike! It's the first major manufacturer supermoto available in the US! Hats off to Suzuki for having the balls to get in on something when it's first taking off. Any street bike sold is going to be slightly slow and bloated because the EPA requirements and other safety standards. Also a street bike requiring tons of maintenance just to shed some weight just isn't practical. Just like any other bike, you buy it and put some money into it to make it what you want.

The bike's not for everyone so just don't buy it if you don't like it! I personally love my DRZ as a dual sport bike and was going to supermoto it this winter so now I'm planning to sell it and get the DRZSM. It'll never be a CRF450 supermoto but I'm not interested in doing valve adjustments and changing the oil everytime I ride to work. I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Sorry about the rant but I just had to vent a bit! :cry:

If you mean from the "big four" then yes, but KTM has the street legal 625smc which I think is a much better built bike. It is only $200 more than the DRZ and has a hydraulic clutch, 5 inch rear wheel, 48mm supermoto suspension, e-start, front and rear Brembo brakes etc. You simply cannot beat it for the price. The DRZ is 295lbs dry at 40hp and the KTM is 293lbs dry at 55hp. It's 2lbs lighter, 15 more hp and 200+ more cc's :cry:. Not a hard choice in my book :cry:

Haha yeah and they sold like hotcakes. I just sold one last week for 7K so putting the profit off both bikes towards my bike, I only have 4500 in it :cry:. Not bad for a brand new bike.

If you mean from the "bif four" then yes, but KTM has the street legal 625smc which I think is a much better built bike. It is only $200 more than the DRZ and has a hydraulic clutch, 5 inch rear wheel, 48mm supermoto suspension, e-start, front and rear Brembo brakes etc. You simply cannot beat it for the price. The DRZ is 295lbs dry at 40hp and the KTM is 293lbs dry at 55hp. It's 2lbs lighter, 15 more hp and 200+ more cc's :cry:. Not a hard choice in my book :cry:

:cry: That is quite true! :cry: No wonder you are a gold member. :lol: I must agree, the KTM 625 SMC is :lol: hands down :lol: a better buy, but not everyone can ride that bike, :lol: especially beginners! So, there is still a definite :lol: U.S. market :lol: for the DR-Z 400SM.

I :lol: never :lol: intended to start any argument over which bike is better between the Suzuki DR-Z 400SM and the KTM 625 SMC, but that is what ThumperTalk is all about, right? There is copious amounts of information here from very highly experienced riders, which truly teaches a lot of (wise) people a lot of things before they make :lol: mistakes :cry: on their own and learn things the hard way. :lol:

Haha yeah and they sold like hotcakes. I just sold one last week for 7K so putting the profit off both bikes towards my bike, I only have 4500 in it :cry:. Not bad for a brand new bike.

I would like to which brilliant KTM marketing person decided not to import them for 2005. :cry:

I never intended to start an argument

I know, I wasn't arguing but I wanted to compare two bikes which I believe directly compete with each other being street legal and closely priced. I didn't say that a DRZ wasn't a good bike, I just said for the money you are getting much more bike with the KTM.

Powerfiend, I believe there will be a few 05 625's here in the states very soon and I would definitely like to have one. I could sell mine tomorrow because there are a few people who want it really bad :cry:

Is that KTM street legal?

The best price that I have seen for a KTM SM has been more like $7500, Not the $6299 that you have indicated.

Not that you did not get it for that, but then we should be comparing retail prices.

Of course, my numbers could be way off, but I believe that when I bought a CCM, I was also strongly considering the KTM, and found there to be no deals anywhere to be had.

I asked if it was street legal, as I seem to recall the weight of the KTM to be around 320-325 lbs ready to ride. I thought that the DRZ was around 300-305 ready to ride!?!

I would be very interested in a KTM for that sort of money...

Mike

The KTM website says that the 625 is no longer available in the USA. Pretty weird that they would discontinue a model that sold like hotcakes the first year it was released! :cry: I almost bought one a month ago, but now have the Aprilia SXV on my mind! :cry:

Yes, the problem was they brought them in too cheap and they sold pretty quick and when they did realize the mistake they pulled all the unsold ones back so they could sell them in Europe where they can sell them for more money because of the exchange rate now :cry:

www.ktmusa.com still shows the 625 SMC available, they don't list price though, and

its listed @ 321 lbs dry.

KTM has a very confusing website! Two weeks ago the 625 SMC had "not USA" next to it. They have lots of type errors that confuse the hell out of folks, including me!

I think the Suzuki will make a great beginner motard! I put 4000 miles on my 2003 KLX400sr, 3500 were on the street. The "deathwing" tires are horrible off-road, but they make up for it on the street. I would have to go with the black plastic, the yellow is hideous! :cry:

I have a problem with KTM’s argument about the dollar. The Canadian dollar is doing better against the US dollar yet the price increase is the same across the board for NA. Then if you take into consideration the other manufacturers from Europe how come their prices have increased as well? The Husaberg's haven't gone up and they are part of the KTM group. In Canada KTM are going to sell all their new models @ a significant price increase. The 950 alone will go up $2,000.00 Canadian without any improvements whatsoever. I was sold on the 625 until I heard what the price will be in ’05. If imported, they are still unsure, it will go for $11,000 before taxes Canadian. Last year it was $9,000.00. &%$#@!. I’ve priced out a DRZ400SM. OTD - $9,000.00 Canadian. If the KTM was the same price I’d consider it but then you get into stuff like parts, reliability and warranty issues that we have here in Canada. We don’t have a KTM Canada and therefore it's more difficult for us. I’ve always wanted an LC4 but not @ that price. I’ll take the Suzuki. More reliable, tons of hop up parts, and excellent componentry. Take a look at the spec sheet on the DRZ. It’s not a parts bin special that’s for sure. It may not have WP forks but I don’t think the RM250 forks it is running are too far behind. The rear shock has high and low speed compression damping adjustment. All told it is a pretty trick bike. The best part is that if it sells well the other manufacturers will follow. Can you imagine a street legal 450 Yamaha or Honda. Yum.