Sign in to follow this  

Anyone use Valvoline 4-Stroke Motorcycle Oil?

I used it for the first three years I owned my DRZ. I must put in a disclaimer here, I change my oil way more than what's recomended, usually every 10 days. I only switched when a shop Service Manager talked to me about the Silkolene, he gave me a free oil and filter change and I prefered the way the bike shifted with the Silk.

having said that, I prefer the Valvoline due to the cost compared to the Silkolene. No complaints with the Valvoline oil.

Only one time when a ride came up and I had no Silolene at all. It was a Sunday so my buddies shop was closed. I went to Checkers and looked for anything resembling motorcycle oil and there it was. I took 2 rides with it in. The tranny don't love it like the it does the Silkolene but for the cost hard to beat. prairiedawg :cry: :cry: :cry:

I use it in my son's 02 Honda Magna VF-750, no problems and for $3/quart readily available at AutoZone the price is right. I will be using it in the DRZ at the next oil change. From what I can tell, it is a motorcycle specific oil that is rated SF/SG/SH and also JASO-MA (which confirms that you will not have clutch slippage).

If you change your oil often, I can't see how you could wrong with one of the more reasonably priced JASO-approved motor oils from the major oil companies meeting the viscosity you require. Appears that Pennzoil, Quaker State and Valvoline all are in that game, probably a few more.

Bronco, I thought that was a picture of someone's tranny who used valvoline CAR oil, not the MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC oil approved to the ratings previously mentioned in this post :cry:

Bronco, I thought that was a picture of someone's tranny who used valvoline CAR oil, not the MOTORCYCLE SPECIFIC oil approved to the ratings previously mentioned in this post :cry:

Yes all true,, my point,, though vague at best, was why use anything less then the best (meaning a full synthetic, Redline, Silkolene, ect ect) It;s all just advertising,, forget what the ad marketers tell you,, use what is known to work in the long run.

To each his own... many will say use the cheapest oil you can buy that meets the lowest manufacture spec and change it often.. And if that works for them in the way they ride, the condition in which they use the bike, for the life of the bike while in their hands... :cry: Then it makes sense for them :cry:

Using it from day 1 and no problems. Like any lubricant if you change your oil frequently you shouldn't have any problems. IMHO the oil is SF and SG API rated and should work fine with a wet clutch so maybe cheap is not accurate how about thrifty!!! :cry: :usa:John

Using it from day 1 and no problems. Like any lubricant if you change your oil frequently you shouldn't have any problems. IMHO the oil is SF and SG API rated and should work fine with a wet clutch so maybe cheap is not accurate how about thrifty!!! :cry: :usa:John

on bikes you want to make sure that it is MA rated, that way you ensure that it is made for bikes. also make sure it isn't "energy conserving". that means it will mess with your clutch.

Are you really trying to crap on a good oil!!! Your bad luck doesn't correlate to a bad product. Silkolene probably would not have prevented this problem and at a cost that was well above what Valvoline costs. Show me data where many bikes using Valvoline are experiencing tranny problems then you might have a correlation -not one machine. This shows an anomolous event not a trend!!!

Are you really trying to crap on a good oil!!! Your bad luck doesn't correlate to a bad product. Silkolene probably would not have prevented this problem and at a cost that was well above what Valvoline costs. Show me data where many bikes using Valvoline are experiencing tranny problems then you might have a correlation -not one machine. This shows an anomolous event not a trend!!!

:cry: Your entitled to your expert opinion.

Note to self: Do not buy used bikes or parts from briter :cry:

I use the Vavloline 4-stroke Motorcycle oil in the three dirt bikes that I own. So does a buddy of mine that rides his a lot harder than I do and puts on a lot more miles. He looked at his DR350 and his bike looks like a brand new engine/transmission. This is a motorcycle specific oil and works well with the engines. We both have multiple dirt bikes running this oil and neither of us have had issues with the oil causing a problem with any of the 5 bikes we are running. Yes a full synthetic is a good oil and it "may" be better, but until someone does a one on one comparison with a full synthetic against the valvoline motorcycle specific that shows obvious proof that a premature failure of the engine/transmission will occur using Valvoline oil will happen, I will stick with my oil and oil change procedure.

Just my $.02 worth $.00 :cry:

I use the Vavloline 4-stroke Motorcycle oil in the three dirt bikes that I own. So does a buddy of mine that rides his a lot harder than I do and puts on a lot more miles. He looked at his DR350 and his bike looks like a brand new engine/transmission. This is a motorcycle specific oil and works well with the engines. We both have multiple dirt bikes running this oil and neither of us have had issues with the oil causing a problem with any of the 5 bikes we are running. Yes a full synthetic is a good oil and it "may" be better, but until someone does a one on one comparison with a full synthetic against the valvoline motorcycle specific that shows obvious proof that a premature failure of the engine/transmission will occur using Valvoline oil will happen, I will stick with my oil and oil change procedure.

Just my $.02 worth $.00 :cry:

:cry: Use what works for you :cry:

Note to self: Sell swamp land to Bronco78 at inflated price, he's use to paying to much!!! :cry: