Sign in to follow this  

Man, that sucked

Sounds that you don't want to hear when pulling the camshaft cap off when changing valve shims ... tink, tink, tink.

Yep, sure enough that damn little insert used to guide the cam cap onto the head fell out and right down to the bottom of the motor. I tried a very strong magnet attached to a steel rod but the distance between the magnet and the end of the rod was too far and it wasn't able to hold it. I have some grabbers but they were a little to big to open. It ended up taking about an hour with 2 creativly bent welding rods to get that sucker out of there.

Rick - been there done that. At least I was lucky enough to be able to get it out with one of those telescoping magnet thingies. The next time I pulled the cap, I was very careful and made it a two man job - one watching on the bottom - HOWEVER - I had a different problem. And unfortunately, one that one-ups yours as my most stupid, dumb thing I've ever done.

After safely adjusting the valves, I buttoned everything back up. We were headed to Mammoth in July to ride for a week. I wanted to change the jetting so, my son and I started pulling off the float bowl of the carb. We have installed hex head screws, so you don't have to pull anything to get the bowl off. Well, anything EXCEPT the crankcase breather hose. I'm sure you can see it coming now. Tink, tink.... "Hey Corey, where's the screw? Huh? I dunno.,,.... . Fear the worst, pull the tank, get a flashlight, look down into crankcase breather tube whole and sure enough, the one in a thousand chance happened. I spent the next 3 hours using a magnet (didn't work - brass screws. CRAP), bubble gum, shop vac, ground down needlenose pliers, everything you can think of to get it out..... Right before it slid down into the bottom end. AAAARRRRRRHHHHHHHH! Then, I even pulled the engine out of the frame and jiggled it upside down to try to get it to come out. All this three days before a one week riding vacation. I ended up having to have the cases split by the shop. I spent most of those 3 days looking for gaskets and worrying. This was the most expensive screw up I have ever done. Sometimes it seems like I cost myself more by working on the bike than if I had taken it to the shop for repair. LOL

Anyway, glad you got it out. Cover that breather hole if you ever pull the hose! :cry: :cry: