Sign in to follow this  

Did we earn our "Stupid Trail" badges?

I just wanted to say "thanks" to Ron and Ken.

This past weekend, Oldbones, Trav and I were hosted by Team Canada for some serious off-roading.

We got ahold of them early Saturday morning, and the weather was very inclement. Clouds were laying low, had rained all night, and the prospects of riding were dim.

We ended up getting a good 45 mile ride in, but the amount of precip. made the trails like "greased $hit!". :lol:

We were all happy to make it out in one piece, so we headed back into town to meet up with the winers. (Non-riders went wine sampling during the days. This place is jam-packed with winerys, top-notch if you are into that stuff.)

We tried to schedule a night-time enduro (Shades!) but could not quite sqeeze it in.

:lol:

Sunday, we met up for breakfast again, then back up for a stab at the Stupid Trail. We had less rain during the night, but the snow had come significantly down the hill. :cry:

So, we hit the Stupid Trail, with snow, and I don't think we could have had more fun! We actually had good traction, and we only had to skip around a couple of the rock faces.

I think we got another 40+ miles in on Sunday, and we used every ounce of energy that we had in doing so.

Ron and Ken were the PERFECT hosts. These guys not only clear and maintain some of the sweetest single-track ever, they freely share it. You just have to bring an "A" game to get through it. Some of those obstacles, I am simply amazed that we can clear them. As Trav said on Sunday, "I think most people would consider these "trials" trails." :lol:

The challenge of these trails brings about a serious feeling of accomplishment, when the ride is done. During it, you wonder what the hell you are being subjected to! :lol:

Ron and Ken, THANK YOU very much for all your hospitality! We had a most excellent time, and I think you have sunk the hook in all of us. Expect to see us again!

:cry: :cry: :cry:

(Guess what secret I was told upon returning to the States? The winers made a surprise appearance at Shades on Saturday! Where is the justice in that? :cry: .... :lol:)

And RON , THANK YOU for spooning on a new tube for me Saturday night. Between that, and the fire you made on Sunday, you took "Perfect Host" beyond all normal expectations.

:lol:

Damn........I wanted to make it out there for that ride. I rode with Ron and Ken a couple of weeks ago. The "Stupid" trail is quite the workout. Made me think about getting a Rekluse clutch :cry:. Glad you had fun, Ron and Ken are great hosts. :cry: :cry:

Side note: These trails are unbelievable. When the pictures show up, they will tell the story. This area is VERY technical, with steep rock faces, drop-offs, logs to cross, creek crossings, exposed roots, side-hilling, steep climbs, unclimbable climbs and everything else inbetween.

In riding off-road, it is pretty easy to assess somebody's skills.

I think there is only about one thing better than beating a buddy, and that is having a buddy whoop up on you.

I was in awe watching Trav make child's play out of this place. Trav is tossing around his KTM like he was born on it. Knowing that he has only been on a bike for the past 3+ years makes it amazing. Trav is gaining skills by leaps and bounds, and it was pretty obvious this entire weekend.

For a Metrosexual, he is pretty damn awesome on that Orange thing.

:cry:

Hey thank you for coming up ... we had a great time as well

but you must thank Ron for the tire, the fire and gas !!! you guys made a good weekend great I still wish we would have gotten travs 5th gear pinned endo over the water break on film ... or the look on oldbones's face when he made it over the top of that last hill climb. You guys are welcome anytime. Although I think we will find a better center piece for the beer circle next time :cry: Glad we could be of service . hmmmm if only we could have got to the top of Brent Mountain :cry:

Till next time you guys are a blast.

Ken :cry:

Very cool, sounds like an awesome ride...I think. :cry:

Can't wait for the pics! How about it Trav? Where are the pics?

I was in awe watching Trav make child's play out of this place. Trav is tossing around his KTM like he was born on it. Knowing that he has only been on a bike for the past 3+ years makes it amazing. Trav is gaining skills by leaps and bounds, and it was pretty obvious this entire weekend.

For a Metrosexual, he is pretty damn awesome on that Orange thing.

No doubt! Trav gets faster and faster all the time damn it! I remember when I could actually keep him in site but those days are long gone now. :cry:

About the only time I can catch up to him is when he is recovering from one of his patented gonzo get-offs, and even then, most times he is recovered and on his way again before I even get there. The guy is fast! :cry:

Sounds like you MIGHT have got out of the "girly man" nickname from last year. Sorry i could not make the beating... huh... er... ride.

Now we need to get Trav back on the DRZ so we can keep track of him. :cry:

Kelly

I had an absolute blast all weekend long, ron and ken are excellent hosts and are a hoot to hang out with. They are top-notch technical riders and great guides.

A couple of memorable points for me... After b-fast saturday morning ken make's an immediate stop at the liqour store and when he gets out says something like "we're going to need something to warm us up after the trail, eh", with the rain still drizzling we were all in agreement. At some point that same morning before hitting the trails either ron or ken makes the comment, "it's either going to be fun or it's going to be tough". Ron's well-prepared, secret instant fire at our gas stop was awesome... he had hidden a pile of dry wood, starting fluid, all covered in plastic and when we pulled up where he said we had gas stashed he made a quick motion to the spot where the wood was hid, and in nearly a blink of eye pulled the plastic, doused the fire with starting fluid, and struck it with a lit match for a great warming fire in the snow along the trail.

The trails we rode were some of the best trails I have ever rode. These trails aren't for everyone, but if you like technical stuff then these are the cream-of-the-crop. The "stupid" trail was one of my all-time favorite technical trail, it somewhat changed my understanding of what a dirtbike can do. And what I really liked was these weren't the type of nasty, muddy, yucky technical trails you find in a lot of harescrambles, instead they were such that when you came to a tough section you looked and thought, "I am not sure I can make that, but I have to give it try because it looks so damn cool."

We hit numerous hill climbs that were too much fun. A couple we were each able to make, a few none of us made but we all gave it our best shot and had a blast doing it!!!

Jeremy was camera boy this weekend, so let's hope his DSL installation (today) goes smoothly and we get to see some pics and video soon!!!

thanks ken and ron for the great hosting. thanks B for the stay and the motorhome, that was a lot of fun. Thanks jeremy for the ride to and from wenatchee and hooking us all up with a trailer for the bikes

btw, you gotta watch out for those canadians as you don't know when they are going to throw down an impromptu harescramble :cry:

I knew i should have gone :cry:

Couldn't be more fun than the three days of working on my house :cry:

Jeremy was camera boy this weekend, so let's hope his DSL installation (today) goes smoothly and we get to see some pics and video soon!!!

Did you break you camera with a ninja-slap? I know a really cool guy that can fix boulder damaged cameras for a little beer and bbq! :cry:

not a damaged camera, but a lost camera. I seem to have misplaced it somehow, somewhere?

here is a pic from ron's smugmug album. I believe they call this "the chimney". I saw this picture a while back and remember thinking, "hey, that looks cool", but trust me, now after experiencing it first hand this picture does not do justice to show the pucker factor of the drop involved!!! One false move here and you are over the bars for sure!!

5200556-L.jpg

jeremy, tell me the dsl is up and running and you got those pics and video coming, I want to see them again :cry:

Hey .... that was the best part of the ride !! where brandon stubbed his front wheel in the only place that you shouldnt and introduced his testies to his clarke gas cap

just as his back wheel left the ground ... all i remeber hearing is ohhhh sh@@###$$t he shouldnt have done that .. but somehow he saved it .. I had visions of chainsaws and helicopters gettin him outta there.first time i saw someones eyeballs clean the inside of his googles .hahaha

Wow, did that hot tub feel good last night! In fact, I think I may be headed out for round two (of the hot tub) here in a few minutes! I have some good unidentified bruises, and just enough soreness all over to remind me of what a good time I had this weekend. Thanks to you guys, Ron and Ken, that weekend will be hard to top!

If you are waiting for the pics, you have a little more waiting to do... No DSL yet, maybe after the mail comes today. Not to mention, my pictures kind of suck, I don't have the knack for it like Trav and some of the others. Also, it's hard to get good pictures of you guys tackling the goods from my position (way behind :cry:).

The trail was incredible. The "Chimney" picture above really sums up the "Stupid Trail" well. Just lots more of that, up and down hill, each more "interesting" than the last.

The hillclimbs were a blast, thanks guys for egging me on at the last one until I made it, it was worth the 17 tries it took! :cry:

I couldn't pick a favorite moment, but the improptu cross country race back to the truck was pretty high up there. It was getting late on Sunday, and we had to make some tracks for the border, so Ron says "next stop, at the truck". Off he goes. He cranks up the pace, and takes off cross country. No trail in sight, but good lines everywhere. Around that tree, over that log, miss that rock... Pretty soon, on a long, pretty hairy downhill, Ken puts the pass on. The next straight finds us two by two, with Ron out front, all on the gas HARD. From then, it was ON. Ron would pick the line, and everyone else vied for position on his rear fender. I remember one hill, Trav and I were side by side, absolutely pinned, banging bars and eating s@#t because we were about 8 feet behind Brandon and Ken who were racing up the same hill. One bobble here, and I found myself being roosted by all three of them at full throttle. Uh, nice.

I'd do it all again tomorrow. Or, maybe next week, give me a few days to put the bike back together! :cry:

You boys always have a place to stay and anything else you could ask for down here, just say the word! :cry:

I am confusing "shades" with "slacks", I am calling Ron "Ken" and calling Ken "Ron". I pick the wrong line on the worst obstacle.

Yeah, I've earned my stupid badge.

The whole trip was a gas! We had fun going up, camping in parking lots, riding, drinking, flossing, wrecking, eating, walking in cow crap, and pegging the motorhome, trying to keep up with Ken.

Think there is time to get another loop in before the weather turns bad? I am pretty sure this stuff is too difficult for Drew, and Lorne would have a tough time with most of the big hillclimbs.

The Wino's ended up at Slack Alices? Now, this is a story I have to hear!

Yep!

They were done wine tasting, and were downtown walking about. Walked past the place, and they had enough in them to go see what all the "hub-bub" was about.

Kendra told me that she thought it was a tasteful place, and was not bothered by it at all.

Doesn't sound sleazy enough for me. :cry:

Yeah - way too tasteful for you guys -- attractive women prancing around in thongs, huge breasts shaking in customers faces as they used their teeth to tip, pole dancing -- all you dirtbikers would have hated it! :cry:

Yeah - way too tasteful for you guys -- attractive women prancing around in thongs, huge breasts shaking in customers faces as they used their teeth to tip, pole dancing -- all you dirtbikers would have hated it! :cry:

Sounds aweful. So glad I missed it. :cry:

kemilu, I think I am going to need some pictures to get a better idea of what you are talking about. :cry: