Sign in to follow this  

Anyone take a GPS on rides?

I've been wanting to make a map of Reiter using a GPS for a while now. How exactly do you get to the cave now? I'd been there years ago before they did the logging, and changed the roads. Now, I don't know. From the looks of the map, it's right off the road?

Do you know about all the other riding at Reiter? It looks like you stuck to a very small patch. Maybe 1/10th of what's out there. Your ride report said it was only your 3rd time out there, so maybe you haven't discovered the good stuff yet.

Jeremy

The (cave) mine entrance is just after the switchback with the entrance to the May Creek trail while you're going up the clear-cut hill, on the hill side.

I know if you cross May Creek there's a bunch up that way. I've been up there in my Jeep. I also understand there is a lot more riding if you follow Reiter Road further up...like where the NMA does their rides I suppose. But you're right - I haven't ventured that far up yet.

Please keep posting your maps.

What GPS and software are you using?

Thanks,

Tyler

Tyler,

GPS units have too many buttons & knobs for you....

Besides GPS stands for Got'er Pinned Stupid :cry:

Moe

What GPS and software are you using?

Ok, will do. Someday I'll do more interesting rides too.

I'm using a Garmin Etrex Vista carried in a fanny pack, and on the computer I've got the National geographic Topo! maps for Washington state.

I don't care at this point for the ability to upload maps into my GPS; instead I just want to record where I go and later overlay my tracks on a map. If I want to put maps on my GPS I'll have to get the MapQuest software (which only goes to 1:100,000 scale as far as I know).

I also have a Garmin (3+) that I used to use at Tahuya/Belfair when I got lost on my mountain bike trips. Now that I've figured out the trails, I haven't used it (and been out of motorcycling until now).

I've ridden at Reiter pit and up higher to the top of the mountain and lookout over Index. I should take the GPS up there also. There are some nice trails but not enough to keep me up there long. The creek crossing is a blast though.

I'm thinking of remounting it on my new bike and starting to do tracks again. I have Mapquest but also have a WA topo map.

I can setup some maps if anyone wants. I'm hoping to head back up to Manastash with a buddy to mark some trails and break in my bike when I can. I watch my two sons when I'm not working so only can ride about once a month but am itching to get back out.

Back in the late 80's I remember there were two mines about 100 feet apart. You came to the first one after a series of switchbacks and there was an old rusted school bus by it.

If you continued past that one the 100 feet or so, you came to the second one. This one did look like a cave as it had a rocky entrance but if you looked inside you could see it was a mine. The first one still had a wood frame around it. If you continues past the second one the trail got real rough and would supposedly take you to lake Isabel I think. This was 15 years ago so I may have the lake name wrong.

I always wanted to go back inside of them but better sense kept me out of them.

Where are all the others that other guy mentioned?

Greg

Greg, I don't remember the first one, but the second one you describe sounds like the one I saw. If you look at the topo map in the link, it shows the mine, and that is about where I saw it before, I thought we took a trail that headed straight off of a switchback (not the cable trail). I beleive it then went down and crossed may creek at a bridge. There's 2 of them, and I want to say it was the one farther up that the jeeps use to get to Lake Isabel, but it makes more sense geographically that it'd be near the lower foot/bike bridge. This was in the early 90's before they logged up there and changed the roads above the red gate. You could still ride in the sand pit which could entertain me all day back then.

Mikey, next time you are out at Reiter, will you get the coordinates of the cave?

Jeremy

Greg, I don't remember the first one, but the second one you describe sounds like the one I saw. If you look at the topo map in the link, it shows the mine, and that is about where I saw it before, I thought we took a trail that headed straight off of a switchback (not the cable trail). I beleive it then went down and crossed may creek at a bridge. There's 2 of them, and I want to say it was the one farther up that the jeeps use to get to Lake Isabel, but it makes more sense geographically that it'd be near the lower foot/bike bridge. This was in the early 90's before they logged up there and changed the roads above the red gate. You could still ride in the sand pit which could entertain me all day back then.

Mikey, next time you are out at Reiter, will you get the coordinates of the cave?

Jeremy

Yes there is/was a trail that headed up and over the ridge and crossed May Creek at a small footbridge and then tied into the main trail that leads up to Isabel and over the big log bridge the 4x4s use. This trail is even shown on topo maps. The reason I say was a trail, A friend of mine and I hiked up from the bridge side and there is blow down all over the place to the point the original trail is hard to follow, to bad was a fun section. There are also the 2 mines at the end of the road going up from Reiter and there is a prospect further up from there. Be careful poking around in the mines up there, SAR teams have had to rescue people out of them and one of the upper ones apparently drops down a couple hundred feet.

Mines are at 47.50.930 121.36.890 and the prospect is at 47.50.960 121.36.760

There is also another mine that isn't shown on the topos at the end of the Isabel Trail.

Cheers - Rick

It is funny you mention cable trail. The trail past the two mines did have a few big nasty cables laying around. One happened to be about a foot off the ground over an off camber section of trail. I flipped a bike trying to get up and over that.

I also remember that foot bridge. I remember thinking the water was pretty deep and if you fell in with your riding gear, you might drown. After that bridge I remember crossing a stream and finding a gravel road. A cutoff from that road led to a real rocky trail that supposedly lead to Lake Isabel. I was riding with a friend that day and he didn't like the rocks so we turned around. I have many fond memories of that area though I don't ride there much anymore.

What is the difference between a prospect and a mine? The whole wild west/gold mining era holds a lot of interest to me. I would love to ride the mountains of Colorado or where ever and see as many old ghost towns and mining camps as I could find. Someday.

Greg

What is the difference between a prospect and a mine? The whole wild west/gold mining era holds a lot of interest to me. I would love to ride the mountains of Colorado or where ever and see as many old ghost towns and mining camps as I could find. Someday.

Greg

I used to mine gold and silver back in the 80's. It was a blast (no pun intended). The prospect is the looking or searching for ore. The mine is after you have found and are actively removing it. We'd prospect some large areas one year and mine if we found something that assayed out to be worth the time and effort.

Morris - you are a man of many talents. While I know nothing about mines (and don't need you to teach me), I'd like to become more adept at working/plotting trail with a GPS. Which brings me to the more important task at hand: Let us know when you can break free again of wife and kids and wanna take that new 250x out of the garage. Of course, it'll have to be at a somewhat slow(er) pace than normal, so that Jason, Jacob and me can keep up (ok, so that Dad can keep up :cry:). Of course, not on this (holy) Saturday (for us). Perhaps next.

Morris - you are a man of many talents. While I know nothing about mines (and don't need you to teach me), I'd like to become more adept at working/plotting trail with a GPS. Which brings me to the more important task at hand: Let us know when you can break free again of wife and kids and wanna take that new 250x out of the garage. Of course, it'll have to be at a somewhat slow(er) pace than normal, so that Jason, Jacob and me can keep up (ok, so that Dad can keep up :cry:). Of course, not on this (holy) Saturday (for us). Perhaps next.

I don't know about many talents but my friend and I are thinking of heading up next Saturday (10/2) to see how the X runs. He'd be on my WR250. I was thinking of checking out the Taneum area which is a bit closer but looks like it hooks up to Manastash trails from the maps I downloaded.

I got the X back together and just have the GPS to mount on the bars.

If you're interested we could meet you up there. I'll be downloading my Mapquest Topo to the GPS for the area to test it out. I just need to dust off my Garmin.

Okay. Keep me posted. Looks line Taneum might be easier on my wagon than the Manastash trailhead. Of course, I don't mind riding back to Manastash from there. It'll give me a chance to face my demons :cry:.

Not sure if my GPS will be here by next weekend, but no big deal.

Sounds good. We also thought about Tahuya but this might one of the last times we can make it over the pass before the snow.

What GPS did you get? Mines a little old (3+) but works well enough. I haven't used it in a long time so I'll have to dust off my brain also. I always carry maps with the GPS because I think maps are important in a new area. Once I know the trails like Tahuya, I don't use the GPS anymore. I'm going to try to take it more to get some routes up.