Sign in to follow this  

Shifting question...

Ok, so all I've done as far as riding goes, is go up and down my street with my sneakers on and shifting is pretty easy. Today, i tried using my boots (very broken in Tech 8s) and I can't shift by pivoting my ankle. I have to lift my foot off the peg to shift up. Is this normal? Or should I try and adjust the shifter down a notch or two so I can pivot my ankle. Or am I supposed to be lifting my foot?

NO

lifting your foot off the peg is not standard

even though new boots sometimes force it upon you

try to find a comfortable position for the shifter,

but keep in mind you want to shift while standing, too

tech 8's are pretty stiff. i personally usually shift by liftin my foot off the peg, even tho i have the world's flexiest boots (those old-school bob-hannah types with the metal plate on the front). i only have to do that because i moved the shifter up 1 notch to keep it further from the rocks and gnashy-toothed monsters that frequent the trails i like.

it's pretty normal to feel really spastic the first few times you wear real riding boots. i promise you it will get better.

-mw

I totally agree with the rest. I rode for a year with tan work boots, when I switched to mx boot boy did I have to learn how to shift all over again. Keep trying it really does get easier. :cry:

I've found you usually have to adjust the shifter each time you change the type of footwear you wear. Lifting your foot to shift isnt normal and would probably cause problems at times.

&%$#@!????

Have you guys every seen motorcycle boots?? They are not intended to pivot. Speaking as a guy whose wife's foot was almost torn off in an ATV accident, if you have "flexible" boots, they are worthless!!

I have been involved in teaching my wife and other friends how to ride dirtbikes. I instruct them all that in order to shift, they should lift thier whole leg. In order to brake, you have to lift your foot off the peg as well.

Don't ride your bike in sneakers. Buy a GOOD pair of boots (don't do something cheap like O'Niel Elements). Learn to ride with very little ankle pivoting. You'll do fine.

Jimbo

I've found you usually have to adjust the shifter each time you change the type of footwear you wear. Lifting your foot to shift isnt normal and would probably cause problems at times.

&%$#@!????

Have you guys every seen motorcycle boots?? They are not intended to pivot. Speaking as a guy whose wife's foot was almost torn off in an ATV accident, if you have "flexible" boots, they are worthless!!

I have been involved in teaching my wife and other friends how to ride dirtbikes. I instruct them all that in order to shift, they should lift thier whole leg. In order to brake, you have to lift your foot off the peg as well.

Don't ride your bike in sneakers. Buy a GOOD pair of boots (don't do something cheap like O'Niel Elements). Learn to ride with very little ankle pivoting. You'll do fine.

Jimbo

Oh, pooh-pooh on all of you! :cry: SOMETIMES you can shift without lifting your foot, by pivoting your foot, if you can shift your weight back on your heel and lower it, thereby lifing your toes (easier done when standing), this often also requires rotating your toe in & out in between shifting to avoid accidentaly shifting... SOMETIMES you have to lift your whole boot (usually I have to when sitting way up on the tank, although you should be standing going into the corner anyway)... so, the answer is, it DEPENDS on what the rest of your body is doing at the time, too!

:cry:

It depends on your bike too. On the KDX I just have to knock the gear lever and it shifts but on the RMZ it takes a definate movement which usually means I have to lift my foot. You dont want it too high that you your foot is resting on it because it will be too easy to knock.

I dont wear knee braces but Im guessing that if I coupled knee braces with my Sidi boots it would be extremely difficult to pivot.

&%$#@!????

Jimbo

Don't you need your foot to pivot at the ankle for range of motion--like leaning forward or backward while standing up? I saw some MX training movie clip that demonstrated that. The guy stood up on his pegs on his arches and leaned all the way forward and all the way back and then the same thing on the balls of his feet to show the range of motion you should have while riding (ie going over whoops and whatnot).

As I understood it up and down movement of the foot = good; side to side = bad.

Is that wrong?

I think pivot does mean side to side but I could be wrong. I know my Sidis have a hinge thing on them giving me more flexibility to move my foot up and down but there is no way I can go side to side just with my ankle

I think pivot does mean side to side but I could be wrong. I know my Sidis have a hinge thing on them giving me more flexibility to move my foot up and down but there is no way I can go side to side just with my ankle

I was using 'pivot' to mean plantar & dorsi flexion, the up & down motion of the foot with the peg as the 'pivot' point, like a teeter-totter. Side to side I consider rotation, because what you are actually doing when wearing a motocross boot is rotating your tibia/fibula inward or outward (external or internal rotation), to swing your toes around...

Sorry for the confusion! :cry:

Shouldn't someone mention that a "Higher" shifter is WAY more preferable than a "Lower" shifter.

Also, the point about different boots requiring different adjustments and techniques is a good one.

As far as lifting your foot to shift...have many of you paid close attention to an MX start? The technique is used by many. Take a look at RC's starts at Glen Helen.

I prefere the "foot flex", with an accompanying "blip" on some bikes (Especially some 4-strokes); however, I've noticed that sometimes I'm lifting my foot during the 1st shift after the gate drops.

My .02,

Manny :cry:

Btw, it's great to see so many women riding. I was impressed with the # of Women racing at the Am. events at the Glen Nat's. :thumbsup:I'm looking forward to a woman putting up some real results in the Nat's soon. Like that Aussie that roosts the pages of the Fox catalog...Hottie, too :cry:

I dunno about the ladies feet but from a male point of view....when im racing i dont pay much attention to how i shift or use the clutch, i just DO IT whatever who cares the bike dont seem too after 17 months i just toss it into whatever gear it likes however the heck i can get it there..... i notice like ill JUMP on that shifter wihtout the clutch mid air n stuff, click it up with my heel WHATEVER works at the time....there is no right and wrong way to do it, just do whatever is comfortable and is workin on the terrain....I run my shift lever like 1-2 teeth up from stock position cus i have size 13 boots on.

And yes with new boots its always a pain but they will break in and you will get used to it, i go through it like every 6 months cus riding 3 times a week takes its toll on gear....and my Mommy keeps it clean as long as i leave it in the laundry room when im done :cry: :cry: :cry: