This bike is trouble!!!

Just picked up a 2002 DukeII demo from the KTM factory. It has 188 miles, Y-piped and Pirelli Sync front and rear. I wish I could tell you about the front tire but it hasn't been on the ground long enough to tell. The rear on the other hand is great in both wet and dry conditions. Going to do the stock can mod and that is about it.

The stock cam mod is a basic gut and replace with a larger core. The baffle goes from stock to 2". You end up with something close to the akrapovic's with out the cost.

That wasn't very detailed. What about the endcaps? What did you do for those? What material was used for the new cores (dimensions and wall thickness)

Thanks, I'm hoping to do this if the fabrication isn't beyond the capability of the tools I have easy access to.

hehe...

i've been noticing the same thing. mine's got akrapovic's with airbox cover, jetting. front wheel pops up unexpectedly!!!

Everyone talks about the "Duke Exhaust Mod" and how common it is but there are no photos anywhere and rarely a decent explanation. Since it's hard to find Duke information I'm putting up a site covering the basic mods and some not so basic. Check it out here: Duke II pages

I'm not finished with the exhaust but I'll be done this week and I'll post more photos when it's done. The simpler mod is to just remove the endcaps and cut out the small tube and reinstall. I'll dyno that mod against the full gutting when I'm done.

Gregor

Tim Barnes out of California does the mod for $325, or will sell you the parts to do it yourself for $200. If anybody wants pics email me and I will send them over. So yes the mod is out there. I got parts from Tim and had a buddy who owns a fab shop do the work.

I want a duke II bad... but, I have never owned a dual sport before and am worried about how much I will actually use it because I live in the city. Can a duke II handle interstate riding or would I need to trailer it outside of the city to get to the twisties that it is more accustomed to? How fast does it really go and how long can it handle going atleast 80? Anything slower than that and I'll be going crazy...

I was worried about the same thing. I came off a Honda Superhawk(read this as put it in the woods at 70mph). All of my friends ride 1000cc twins and I can out corner them all. You have to learn how to ride this bike but one day in the seat and it all becomes very clear. It will hold 80 all day long. It does buzz some at that speed but you are rewarded well when you get to the corners. :cry:

Resurrecting an old post here.  Is there anywhere I can find the options / guides for removing the baffle in a standard exhaust?

The links listed on all the posts I've come across are no longer working.