Sign in to follow this  

Excels or Marchesinis?

I'm preparing to buy at KTM 450EXC dual sport from motorcycle-brokers.com with the intent on converting it into a supermoto. I'll have the best of both worlds... a street legal SM for canyon carving and something I can flog a one of the many tracks here in NorCal. (Thunderhill and Stockton to name a few) One of the things that I'm hung up on is which wheels to choose from. I know that wheels are the absolute best upgrade for a streetbike (in terms of direct bolt ons) as they are a very dynamic upgrade. No other single mod can make your bike brake better, accellerate better, or handle better like a good set of light weight wheels can. (I've got magnesium wheels on my Monster and they rock. Waiting to upgrade to CF wheels!) So when the Marchesinis are ~4 lbs lighter per wheel than traditional wire spoked wheels you can imagine my excitment. My only apprehension is will the forged aluminum Marchesinis hold up to rigors of supermoto? Can they repeatedly take jump after jump without bending? Another great thing about the Marchesinis is ridding yourself of tubes. :cry: Can anyone give me a little advice??

This:

motostrano_1806_11735337.jpg

Or this:

motostrano_1807_5822504.jpg

Well you just answered your own question. Although the Marchesini's are nice they are nowhere near as durable as a set of Excels for jumping. I would say if you were only going to ride on the street then the Marchesini's would be great but definitely not for jumping. If you want them a little lighter, seal off the backside of the nipples and run them tubeless :cry:

I have tried both and they both are good. But in Europe where they are popular, Most guys have sets of both so they can swith back and forth depending on the track. I have seen the aluminum wheels crack and bend with a lot of hard dirt and jump sections. If you ride high speed tracks with minimal dirt go for it, but spoke wheels will hold up better and if you do bend them they are easy to repair. Also the feel is differant and some peaple love them or hate them. If you can try them first. :cry:

It goes back to you, as far as what one you think looks the best for you bike. I have rode on both. I did a race at Stockton with the mag on the back. Given Stockton's jumps aren't like the AMA's steel ramps I had no problems. I liked the way the mags turned, the front was the most noticeable. The front mag being a few pounds lighter made the gyro effect alot less, so to change the direction of the bike in a turn was alot easier. That is what you fight in the corners the most. The faster you can get the bike turned and get back on the gas the faster your lap time will be. The bad side to the mags is that they are so stiff you will feel many more grooves or cracks in the track then what you feel with a spoke wheel and that they will not hold the temp in the tire as long as a tubed wheel. The only time this maybe a problem is at a track that has a long dirt section, when you get off the dirt the tire will have lost a lot of its heat so the grip will be a bit less. I am running something in the middle, I am useing a tubeless front rim and seem to be happy with it. Again it goes back to what one's you like the most and what kind of riding will be done on the wheels.

All the best DC

Right on Doug and Darrick, thanks so much for the info,

I ran Marchesini's when I road raced, it was a huge difference, but mostly noticable when you were going fast (over 130 mph or so) dont get me wrong it was definately easier to turn in and change lines mid corner just like Doug said even at lower speed, but in supermoto other than the unsprung weight benefit I would opt for the durability of the spoked wheel over the "pimp factor" of the mag, unless you will almost never see the dirt with it (canyon/street riding exclusively) for example, then the mag would be kinda cool.

I cannot comment on the difference in feel on a supermoto bike because i have never ran or riden an SM bike with mag's, but I can imagine that you will feel every pebble or imperfection in the road due to the increased stiffness.

But in Europe where they are popular, Most guys have sets of both so they can swith back and forth depending on the track.

lol ... we ain't THAT rich in europe !!! :cry: :cry:

but I think you're right... some of the top pilots on the french championship have both sets of wheels but not for the type of track!! For differents type of tires... mostly marchesini wheels when it's dry and excell when it rains or still wet ...

I think marchesinis (haven't test it yet) are quite though and very rigid... as the excell are a bit softer to ride with ....