Sign in to follow this  

Another cold starting problem

I live at 5000 feet. I got a 2001 XR4 last week, barely ridden, with an E Series pipe. It always started on the first or second kick. I reinstalled the stock pipe, and now it won't kick start when the engine's cold. I can bump start it, though, and after that it starts on the first or second kick. The former owner (who I know and believe) said he didn't make any adjustments to the carb - he just installed the E Series pipe. Any advice on what adjustments/changes to make? Sound like it's too rich? Larry

PS: I love this bike. Took it to a large vacant construction site yesterday and bounced around for an hour or so - major woopitude! Larry

Is your friend the original owner? Is the snorkle still in place? Still running stock air filter and stock jetting? How many turns out is the fuel screw? Are you using the choke correctly, down is off.

Is your friend the original owner? Yep.

Is the snorkle still in place? Yep.

Still running stock air filter and stock jetting? Yep.

How many turns out is the fuel screw? Just checked. It was 1 3/4 turns. I tried 2 1/4 and no go. But at 2 1/2, it started! (The test will be tomorrow morning, after it's sat unkicked for 8 hours.)

Are you using the choke correctly, down is off. Yep.

So here is the issue I have. Up here, the air is thin, less O2 in the air we have, so a bike that runs lean at sea level runs OK here. Less power, but OK. Now if I do a snorklectomy, install a free-flowing air filter and a pipe, then it will return to running lean, won't it? Larry

This morning I wanted to see if the fuel screw adjustment would hake a totally cold engine start. It was raining and 43 degrees outside, but probably nearer to 55 in the garage. Opened the petcock, set the choke to full on position., and . . .

First kick, nada.

Second kick, baarrrooommm! Started right up.

I don't expect to ride the XR4 in colder temps than today, so this fix looks like it does it for me. Thanks for the reply Trailryder42. You put me on the right track. Larry

Most of the time removing the snorkle, a freer flowing filter/cage and an aftermarket or modded stock exhaust requires rejetting. If I remember right, stock jetting is 142/52. Probably not optimal for your elevation and stock configuration. Turning up the idle(black knob)1/2 turn clockwise aides in starting too.

If I remember right, you just pull it off. It's a rubber thing that snaps into the cut-out in the top of the airbox like a big huge grommet. Once you see it you'll know what to do.

out of curiosity do you guys just lopp off the snorkle or do it surgically?

Can do it either way, but I just pulled mine off. Easy and reversible if you would ever want to put it back on. (Don't know why you would, though).

The surgical operation will simply allow even more air in, but I don't know how much more difference that will make. (Diminishing returns?)