YZ tank on WR 250 ~~ Advantages?

Depending on the year the YZ tank and seat allow you to get up on the front of the bike a lot more agressively. It helps greatly when square off a turn! My 2001 has the tall tank and I fight to get enough pressure on the front wheel to make it hook up. I am looking for a YZ tank and seat if anyone has one.

depends on the yr also

some yrs you have to change the seat if you change the tank.

the '01 and '02 WRF's require a YZF seat to be used in conjunction with a YZF style tank.

as to the original question -- the YZF style seat and tank present a much better riding position when turning. if you don't need the range afforded by the stock WRF tank (for '01 and '02 it carries 3.2gal) then you will find riding more comfortable with the YZF setup. you don't feel like you are sitting on a barrel. also, acerbis, clarke, and IMS make YZF style tanks in large capacity models; they are deeper, not wider, so the riding position is unchanged.

on the trails, i get about 27-30MPG on my '01 WRF, so a stock YZF tank (2.3gal) gets me out towards 60-ish miles before i start getting really nervous about pushing.

and a final note... if you are trail riding, do not get the YZF style SDG seat. it's too hard and you'll soon have monkey butt. GUTS is the way to go. do a search, i've preached about the GUTS enduro seat several times.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

I'm lazy so I didn't search about the Guts seat Jim. Why do you get monkey butt? I never get it (I knocked on my wood desk) but my son does all the time. I know why. He hasn't figured it out yet, but is at that age he thinks he knows it all.

Shortly after I got my '02 WR250F I got the large Clarke tank and the Moose (SDG) YZ grippy seat. It worked great. So great, I bought a Clarke YZ tank. It worked great until I went north and ran out of gas. I didn't even make it back to my gallon gas stash! I had to rid my son's YZ85 with his grippy seat 10 miles in sand whoops, 5 of those miles carrying a gallon gas can. I sold that YZ tank upon return. The large Clarke tank offers a pretty good compromise between the stock '02 WR tank and a YZ tank--about midway between the two in riding position. But you need a YZ seat with either Clarke tank. The IMS tank is good too, but it comes pretty close to the header pipe, and if you want to have a petcock on that side, it could be hot and very close. Petcock on the right side of the Clarke would work better, but I have not had the need, and it costs about $70.00 for all the parts.

You got your Guts seat after I already had my SDG seat. I remember you saying something last year about the Guts seat having more and softer foam. I should have gotten the Moose tall grippy seat upon reflection.

How NOT to get monkey butt: Get two pair bicycle riding shorts that fit well. Get the best you can afford, but opt for the synthetic chamious liner. Make sure there are no seems in the crotch. The more individual panels in the shorts the more they will cost but the betty they will fit. Use baby powder in the shorts. Do NOT wear underware or a jock strap. Rinse when done riding and line dry in the sun inside out. The UV rays help sanatize. When riding on a grippy seat--do not slide on it. The seat is not made for sliding. It is made to hold you in place under acceleration and save your arms. Plant your butt on the seat in the sweet spot and keep it there. To move weight forward, lean forward. To move weight back, lean back. Do not slide forward or backward on the seat. When entering a corner, you should be on the brakes, standing in a crouch (attack position) and let the braking effect pull you down and forward onto the seat. Keep your butt in place until you are out of the corner and then use the next bump to help you stand up. Do not slide around on these seats. They are made to grip you and hold you in place.

My son's seat is a Factory Effex cover than has a lot more grip than my Moose/SDG seat. He wants to slide all over it but the seat holds him. He gets monkey but--unless he consentrate on the above. He is getting better.

Bottom line for trail riding--IMS or Clarke tank with YZ seat of your choice. It is better to have gas than to be smelling around for who has some ?

Hmmmmm.... Never noticed this on mine, but then again, I stand most of the time ?

you can stand for an entire six day enduro?

hats off to you then ace.

jim aka the wrooster

'01 wr250f

How about 4 days In Baja my friend

1st day - Tacate to Ensenada = 140 miles took close to 10 hrs

2nd Day - Ensenda to Mikes Sky Ranch then to San Felipe = 210 miles little of 12 hrs that day

3rd Day - Just cruising down the San Felipe Coast = 8 hrs and just over 100 miles

4th Day - San Felipe back to Tecate = 10 hrs and just over 200 miles

All this done back in may on my 426, so yeah I have been there and done that ? :cry: