Sign in to follow this  

Stupid Lever Question Probably for the 100th Time

Broke both my Clutch and Brake lever a few weeks ago. Went and bought two "FLANDERS" levers and went riding w/ them for the first time Saturday. Well was laying the bike down (Very slowly and lightly) and the bike didn't even hit the ground yet and the brake lever snapped off in my hand. I layed it down on the clutch side. The clutch lever snapped in 3 places. What pieces of s**t. Is there any brands that make a stronger lever? I don't want to pay 80-160 for Works Connection or ASV levers because I go down ALOT (usually 3 or more times a trip. Tight rutted rocky stuff and I suck at riding) so is there a brand of levers that I can order that are stronger? If the ASV's or Works are THAT MUCH better then maybe I should just spring for them. Any ideas?

I also heard that by buying shorties you decrease the odds of breaking the lever. Does that work????

its a simple solution guys. Install bark busters and say goodbye to broken levers. The aluminum bar type with optional brush guards. I broke one lever, installed them and have yet to break another. Prob dumped the bike 100 times.

its a simple solution guys. Install bark busters and say goodbye to broken levers. The aluminum bar type with optional brush guards. I broke one lever, installed them and have yet to break another. Prob dumped the bike 100 times.

That's kind of what I've been thinking also. Any suggestions on MFG? I've seen the plastic Acerbis ones but those don't look sturdy enough. Are there any Steel or Aluminum ones that won't break?

Back in the day (mid 70's I think) There were some levers made that actually were nearly unbreakable. They were some sort of nylon plastic thing and good god those can get pounded like none other! I had one on the brake side of my first bike and it never gave me any problems at all.

I have only seen two of these levers though, the one on my bike and one that came in a box with a motorcycle in a basket I was asked to re-assemble. I have even asked around and the dealers scratch their heads... :cry:

Later,

Dan

Get the aluminum bark busters. The plastic brush guards that look like bark busters are trash.

I have Tusk Brand bark busters. But others make nice units too.

I went out riding this weekend in the Brecon Beacons in Wales. My new CRF 250X now looks like it's done a few rounds with Mike Tyson. It got dumped on to rocks over a dozen times over 3 days. My Acerbis Rally Pro handguards took all of the damage and I'm glad I fitted them. They have a aluminium bar with a tough plastic guard moulded to it. I can't recommend them highly enough. :cry: