Sign in to follow this  

05 WR 250 perform like a YZ 250???

I am going to get a 05' something, coming off a 01' KTM 400 exc. I rode a CRF 250 and loved it!! However I am going to buy a Yamaha for obvious reasons. Bike is going to be a playbike/trailbike. Instead of hopping up a yz should I get a wr and hop it up??? Can you make a WR run like a YZ with no harm to the bike?? I would like the electric start, bigger gas tank, kickstand. But I loved the CRF with no weight!! I just dont know what to do. Anyone have any ideas??

im not too good with the wr's/yzf's but from what i read theyre pretty similiar, just the wr's have a flywheel weight. just have a place shave off the flywheel and you have pretty much a yzf with wr accessories

Obviously rip all the enduro lights etc of and replace with YZ number plate and YZ rear gaurd. Do grey wire mod from this forum. Change cam to YZ cam. Flywheel in WR is heavier, you can change it but for trail I wouldnt. Change pipe to YZ or better aftermarket like Dr D etc. Open the airbox with 2 * 50mm holes on RH side (this may already be done on 05 not sure). The Wr has a wider ratio gearbox which you can slightly with a larger rear sprocket and smaller front plus run a lower profile tyre like say 18 / 100/90 or 18 100/80 if avail, but you probably wont want to do this as it reduces top end speed for road sections The WR also has a larger capacity tank which is wider. If you change to YZ tank you also have to change your shrouds.

Note theres differing opinions on this bit but if you really want some stick when its time to do a piston, go for a wiesco +0.75 compression ratio piston. And if you ever need cyclinder work go for a 280 big bore kit and +0.75 compression piston.

The differing opinions are whether or not the bottom end is capable of handling this sort of top end.

Personally if your going to do all this id go for a WR450, it has way more power than most riders need without any mods and will handle the higher trail miles with ease. Shim checking and replacement is limited due to the lower revs most riders do on the 450.

The biggest difference between the yz and wr is the Cam timing, ignition timing, Wide Ratio Tranny vs close on the yz, bigger tank, bigger rads, wr-choked up silencer and e-start. I have never ridden a YZ, so I can give you a personal comparison. If you cut the grey wire (change the igntion mapping), open up the airbox, uncork the exhaust you will liven up the WR tremendouly. If you want to change out the exhaust cam to a yz cam, that will really make it run like a yz. There is always going to me some added weigh with the WR because of the e-start components. It will feel differnt than a YZ because of the gearing. I would love to ride a WR with the yz cam, just to feel how different it is.

I have heard of no reliabilty issues with YZing out a WR. They have the same motors. Just think of it of the WR as a detuned YZ. You can save some weight changing out the silencer, and switching to YZ plastics etc.

A good mate of mine has done all the above and the biggest difference was the piston followed closely by the yz cam and timing. Ive got a Wr and ive ridden his modified wr and they are chalk and cheese. Cam and timing made way more difference than any pipe would ever make. Good luck.

I am glad you added the throttle stop barton. I was going to chime in before I read your post! :cry:

What you do all depends on what you want to spend.

The free mods, exhaust, and YZ exhaust cam will give you all the power and performance of the YZF motor.

The complete process would include suspension work, removing lights, regulator, odometer, swapping flywheel and stator, changing the radiators, putting a 19" rear tire on, and on the older models an aluminum subframe.

The only thing WR about my 02 WR is the tranny and the radiators. Everything else is in YZ trim. With the combo of wheels, carbon fiber, etc, I even have the weight down to about 220 lbs. But the process was neither cheap nor without obstacles. Check out the link in my sig for all the details.

Rick, your bike is just awesome! :cry: Love the look and all the mods. That's my idea of a real dual purpose bike..

Don't forget to cut the throttle stop in the WR.

Opps. :cry: Now how did I miss that? Thanks Barton.

Don't forget to cut the throttle stop in the WR.

Opps. :cry: Now how did I miss that? Thanks Barton.

Forgive ya...this time. :cry: You were pretty much right on though. :cry: