DR650 Aftermarket Cams, Pistons ? ? ?

The DR has been a blast. Yesterday was 230 miles of romping

around in the hills of North Georgia. As is sometimes the case my mind began teasing me into thinking what another

few horsepower would be like. I noticed that the specs on compression are 9.5 - 1 with a little room for a small bump

and of course I have no idea about duration/lift and cam timing.

Anyone here have knowledge of or can perhaps point me to some answers regarding these issues.

~lloyd

I would look into a Dynojet kit first before hard engine parts. That being said, mine just started weeping at the base gasket so I may have my engine apart and consider a hi-compression piston if it helps.

IMHO, the last thing the 650 needs is more power. It could use suspension work and a diet first.

Thanks R-, I couldn't see anywhay to lose much weight from the bike. Now as for myself...I could lose a few. :-)))Susepension always pays big dividends and I'm a proponent of aftermarket shocks, springs, emulators etc.

I should have stated the curent powerplant stats as, airbox mod, k&n filter, 170 main, two bros oval can. It runs well.

but, 50 hp at the rear wheel with some street rubber would keep me happy for a while. Just where would you lose weight,

especially from the unsprung side?

~peace

I would look into a Dynojet kit first It could use suspension work and a diet first.

I would look into a Dynojet kit first before hard engine parts. That being said, mine just started weeping at the base gasket so I may have my engine apart and consider a hi-compression piston if it helps.

IMHO, the last thing the 650 needs is more power. It could use suspension work and a diet first.

Rich, I remember looking at that oil leak at the DS run and I'm 100% certain that its comming from the cam chain tensioner. Mine looked the same way,like it was leaking from every where but.It made a real mess. Really just get the '04 gasket,it is metal instead of paper and will cure the problem. ?

Thats alot less hastle than the tear down.And really as I could see on the last run,your bike don't need and more power,its hard enough keeping up with you as it is!!! ?

I also argree that after rejeting,airbox/air filter mods and a pipe,camshaft and piston replacement might not seem necessary.

I'm definintly doing the suspension work this winter and as for the diet,well,I could use that too. ?

Mike.

PS-If you see pineyrider on some other forum (like yahoo)thats me too. They wouldn't take sgtmike for some reason.