Sign in to follow this  

Hot Start

Hello Darrick,

I am the owner of a 04' Honda CRF-250X. This bike is the electric start version of the CRF-250R. As I'm sure you know this bike has a hot start lever. My last bike was a

Suzuki DRZ-250E (also electric start).

The Suzuki did not a hot start lever on it. What does this lever actually do? I took my first ride last week and never

once used the hot start lever when restarting my bike. Am I doing damage to the bike by not using this?

Is this lever optional or should I use this everytime without a doubt? Of course I do not want to ruin the bike.

Have you had the chance to ride this bike? If not you should try it. Now I understand why they called it "The bike of the year.

Thank you for your help!

Your hot start lever is to help starting when the motor is hot. Some bikes need this to help hot starting and some as your 250X Honda starts fine with out. No you are not hurting your bike. :cry:

Basically when your bike is hot it can "vapor lock". The hot start lever opens a passage to allow cold filtered air into the carb to cool down the air/fuel mixture before it goes into the motor.