Sign in to follow this  

Mods for my new bike?

Ok ladies, I bought a '97 KX 100. I went with older to make sure it was what I really wanted. Very clean (ladies) bike. Is all stock though. What would be your suggestions for some mods. Please put reasons for the mods also. I will miss my easy going ttr 125, but WOW!!! do I already love the power this one has. :cry:

Ok ladies, I bought a '97 KX 100. I went with older to make sure it was what I really wanted. Very clean (ladies) bike. Is all stock though. What would be your suggestions for some mods. Please put reasons for the mods also. I will miss my easy going ttr 125, but WOW!!! do I already love the power this one has. :cry:

At this point, the only modifications I'd make are ones to make the bike more comfortable to you and more suited to the riding you do. For instance, a pair of handlebars with your preferred bend (Try the Mini-Hi), handguards, a larger gas tank, and perhaps some gearing changes and a flywheel weight if you ride mostly technical trails.

Spend some more time on the bike before considering things like a different pipe or other horsepower-related modifications. I'd put 100 miles or so on it the way it is before I would even mess with gearing and the flywheel, personally.

Just ride it and THEN decide what you want to change.

Well, if you'll be trail riding, how about a skid plate or disc protector? I didn't think of that until after I PM'ed you. Those are kind of more decorative things than performance enhancers but helpful nonetheless. :cry:

Skid plates are more than decorative. Those are things I forgot about since I don't have them. I'd advise a pipe guard--if they're available--over a disc guard, though. My pipe is pretty hammered.

Oversized bars! I went through 4 pairs of stock bars before I caved and got my applied triple clamps, and a pair of fatty bars! Or at least be prepared to get them as soon as you bend the standard ones in a big wad-up... of course, at that point you'll probably be out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of a riding weekend! :cry: Those stock bars are pretty flimsy (unless they're already replaced? But I bent a pair of standard sized Renthals, too... :cry:)

Oh, I know they're not just decorative but I was thinking in terms of performance issues, like a flywheel weight or different pipe or auto clutch (don't think those are made for the KX100 anyway) but you get the idea. A disc guard or skid plate are things that you can just bolt on and not worry about any engine issues. :cry:

Actually, since we're on the subject, what is the purpose of a skid plate anyway? To protect the engine/frame when crossing logs? :cry:

Oh, I know they're not just decorative but I was thinking in terms of performance issues, like a flywheel weight or different pipe or auto clutch (don't think those are made for the KX100 anyway) but you get the idea. A disc guard or skid plate are things that you can just bolt on and not worry about any engine issues. :cry:

Actually, since we're on the subject, what is the purpose of a skid plate anyway? To protect the engine/frame when crossing logs? :cry:

Or big, sharp boulders that can pierce your engine case... :cry: A $400 fix, there!

Ah, yeah, rocks would not be a good thing!

I was looking at your sig and saw that you have an aluminum throttle tube. What is that or what does it do? Boy, there are lots of things to spend money on :cry: :cry:

I take it you are a trail/play rider. Get some handgaurds on asap! The price of them is offset by the money save on broken levers and/or perches! Get a pipe gaurd and skidplate too! Pipes are several hundred $$$ and a gaurd is $30. Engine cases can run hundreds to have replaced! Get the plate that wraps up around the sides of the cases, NOT just a flat piece on the bottom of the frame. Slime the innertubes NOW! FLATS SUCK!!! Later you can change the bars ect..

Definately new bars to suit u, barkbusters if it doesnt already have them and a pipe guard. Im not really into adding performance stuff such as pipes and the likes. I run the theory that until I am riding my bike stock to the limit then I dont need to spend the money to make it even faster, because I wont use the added gains anyway. Add setting up the suspension close to the top of your list, that can completely change how the bike handles etc.

Ah, yeah, rocks would not be a good thing!

I was looking at your sig and saw that you have an aluminum throttle tube. What is that or what does it do? Boy, there are lots of things to spend money on :cry: :cry:

Ah, thats something I forgot... Its right up there with bark busters, IMO! I cracked TWO plastic throttle tubes in a month, so replaced it with the aluminum one... bomb proof! (at least me proof! :cry:)

Once caveat, my buddy with a 2-smoker didn't like his, felt 'rough' to him... I'm not sure if its just because the two stroke throttle only pulls in one direction, while the 4-stroke pushes AND pulls, or if its because I was just such a newbie I got used to it quick, because I didn't know the difference! :cry: :cry:

I take it you are a trail/play rider. Get some handgaurds on asap! The price of them is offset by the money save on broken levers and/or perches! Get a pipe gaurd and skidplate too! Pipes are several hundred $$$ and a gaurd is $30. Engine cases can run hundreds to have replaced! Get the plate that wraps up around the sides of the cases, NOT just a flat piece on the bottom of the frame. Slime the innertubes NOW! FLATS SUCK!!! Later you can change the bars ect..

Good point, get the bike its protective 'gear' first, then go for the other things from there... did it come with anything on it already?

:cry:

Thanks everyone for the great ideas on mods.

So where can I find all of this stuff? Best price, best products, etc...... It has bar risers, and a flat skid plate, but that's about it.

I agree with you Firecracker, I will ride it as is for now. I think I will have a better idea of what items to put on my wish list and in which order. :cry:

BTW Firecracker, I joined PANTRA and am looking forward to going on some rides with that group.

Looks like I will have to change my sign in name, it just doesn't seem to fit now. Anybody with some good name ideas? :cry:

Looks like I will have to change my sign in name, it just doesn't seem to fit now. Anybody with some good name ideas? :cry:

Nah, you're going over to the 'smoke side' now, but you'll be back... :cry: We won't let you go! :cry:

Hey, just something else I was thinking, you need to be up to date with the laws in your state, I know I need to add spark arresters & silencers (living in Kalifornistan...)if I want to do any OHV area riding now...

Enjoy your new ride! :cry:

Hey, just something else I was thinking, you need to be up to date with the laws in your state, I know I need to add spark arresters & silencers (living in Kalifornistan...)if I want to do any OHV area riding now...

Thanks L2fly, I was just looking at that yesterday. The pipe says it doesn't meet the 80dbl federal regulations. On the silencer sites it says 96dbl is now the regulation. Is this right? I kind of thought I would need a silencer. It really isn't that loud though.

I ride a KX100 so I can speak from experience. Yes you will need a spark arrestor. I have had good luck with FMF in the past so I went with the FMFQ. After watching the 125 pipe shootouts, they were all well below the noise limit with the regular race pipes, so noise shouldn't be an issue for any pipe. They sound loud, but the db are going to be stronger in a thumper.

The handlebars felt way too low for me. I have shorter legs but a longer torso. I didn't like the renthal high bars, so I went with Renthal Alesi Medium bend bars which were very confortable. Later on I got the Factory Conn. Triple clamp with bar risers. I raised them up and moved them forward. It finally felt right.

If you are trail riding I would suggest a flywheel weight. It will make the bike more tractable and smooth the power out a bit. Check out www.steahlyoffroad.com

You definitly want to get a skid plate. I had trouble finding a true skid plate and not just a glide plate. The one company that made one for my bike was www.brpit.com

Bark busters, handguards are a must, and you can get them anywhere. Go for a mini set they fit and look better. Moose makes sweet looking barkbuster for mini. I just put them on with the Cycra plastic piece. They look nice. Acerbis also makes a mini.

I thought the gearning was a little tall so I went up one tooth in the rear. You could eighter go up one or three. One seem to be just fine. I think 3 would be too much. When you are ready for chains and sprocket you can just upgrade to the 428. The tensile strength is a lot stonger. I knew a girl that was a really good rider and actually snapped a couple of the 420 chains off. I doubt it is that common but it's nice having the extra strength.

I found that I could not stand the stock clutch because the reach too far. You need to be able to comfortably access the clutch on a 2 stroke. I needed something adjustable. My only choice at the time was for the stock perch was ARC or ASV. I liked the ARC to I went with that. $75. :cry:

Defititly ride the bike and get used to it first. I can tell you that the best performace mod I did was putting on the FMF Fatty pipe. I waited about a 1 year & 1/2. I wish I did it sooner. The long bumpy hills were just so much easier and the bike was just plain quicker. I think they make the torque pipe for your year bike which is a low end pipe like the gnarly as well as the Fatty.

If you still have money to burn the IMS oversize tank is nice to have. You can get around 40 mpg on the stock tank depending how hard you ride. If you do any long ride you won't have to worry because the IMS tank gets close to 80 mpg.

If I had one recommendation for performance I would find out when the last top end was done if you can. I waited about a year to do mine. I never noticed any difference before the top end, but after I enstalled it there was a substantial difference in power. It was weird. I guess when you slowly lose compression you don't notice it until after you replace the top end. Esp. when you trail ride. You are not hitting the same thing over and over so you can compare how the bike reacts.

Good Luck and have fun on the bike. :cry:

FYI, I just did my mods little by little. Once you make the ergos comfortable and put on your guards the rest you can do little by little. It's kind of fun to make the bike your own.

Hey Mxchic,

Do you have a pic of your bike? I'd love to see what it looks like with all those mods on it! :cry:

Thanks L2fly, I was just looking at that yesterday. The pipe says it doesn't meet the 80dbl federal regulations. On the silencer sites it says 96dbl is now the regulation. Is this right? I kind of thought I would need a silencer. It really isn't that loud though.

Are you in CA? I believe its 96dbl in CA now... I don't know about other states. :cry:

BTW Firecracker, I joined PANTRA and am looking forward to going on some rides with that group.

Awesome! They are SUCH a cool group. I like everybody. Be sure to say Hi for me . . . and don't listen if they tell you any stories involving tequila!

mxchic - Thanks for passing on your experience and knowledge to a new 2 stroker. :cry: I will be riding trails for the most part. I don't have any interest in mx.

L2fly - I live in WA. I will have to find out the regs for this state. :cry:

firecracker - Do you happen to know the dbl laws for WA? I can't wait to start hearing stories about rides. :cry: I can't wait to go out with a group instead of just my own family. Not that I don't enjoy them, I just really would like to learn new techniques, places to ride, etc.... :cry: Looking forward to someday riding with or maybe seeing you on a ride.

Again thanks everyone for all of your information! It will make inproving my bike for my needs that much easier, without wasting money on things that I really don't need! :cry: