Sign in to follow this  

Clutch Pull

After A full day of ridin I almost have to use my whole body to pull in my clutch. Is there something I can do that would make it easyer to pull? Would a shorty leaver be easier or harder to pull?

a short lever will require more leverage

i think the easiest and cheapest way to make it easier is exercise the 1 or 2 fingers you use for the clutch to get em stronger,

get a Squash ball and play with it in your hands and squeez it the muscles will start to get stronger if you play with it long enough everyday

You can lengthen the clutch actuating arm. The one on the side cover. I cut mine and made it 5mm longer, need to weld it though, but it helped. I also got the Magura hydro clutch and it helped alot. One finger clutch pull, and no arm pump you can find them on ebay. Don't bother with the motion pro cable, if you keep your stock cable lubed.

This helps alot just losen the 8mm bolts that hold you clutch pearch on the bar and then slide the whole thing tords the bar pad makes it less work for your fingers.

You can lengthen the clutch actuating arm. The one on the side cover. I cut mine and made it 5mm longer, need to weld it though,

The clutch actuator from a 98-99 YZ400F is 5 mm longer than the stock 250F. It is a drop in replacement as well. That's what I use.

YZ250F vs. YZ400F

yz400f_clutch_act_02_small.jpg

YZ400F clutch arm mounted in my 250F

yz400f_clutch_act_04_small.jpg

Rick could you tell me what exactly I would need to do to put it in and can I just get that part from my local shop?

Rick could you tell me what exactly I would need to do to put it in and can I just get that part from my local shop?

All you need is the part listed above and some fresh oil. You can get the part from a local dealer or online OEM reseller. I doubt it will be in stock at you local dealer. They will have to order it.

Procedure:

1. Drain the oil

2. Remove the clutch cable

3. Remove the clutch cover

4. Remove the clutch pack

5. Pull the clutch basket out about 1/2 of an inch

6. Remove the bolt and retainer around the top of the clutch actuator arm

7. Slide the actuator arm out and install the replacement

8. Position the actuator arm and slide the clutch basket back in

9. Test the arm (while applying pressure against the clutch rod inside the basket , move the actuator arm to make sure it is moving the rod.

10. Reinstall the clutch pack and the clutch cover

11. Fill with oil and reattach the clutch cable

12. Adjust the cable