Sign in to follow this  

Flakes on oil filter, need advice!

Yesterday when I got done changing the oil on my 03 CRF450, I decided to tear apart the oil filter. After pulling the pleats apart I noticed a couple of shiny little pieces of metal that looked like chrome in the pleats. I just had the whole top end done just last winter (hot cam, stainless valves, HD springs, new Wiseco piston and rings, etc.) and it looks like I am gonna have to pay someone to split the cases. I live in MD here on the East Coast, and am wandering if you guys know of any shops in New Jersey, DE, MD, Virginia, or close that are really experienced with Honda's. I want it taken down and put back together right, without having to remortgage my home and Jeep. What should I expect to pay for labor? And is this something I should even be considering with just a couple of flakes? I would like to deliver the motor and pick it up from whoever does it, that is why I was looking for someone close if it needs to be done.

You should change the oil and filter and ride your bike like usual for a little while and then check it out again. Also how big were the flakes? COuld it be possible when you put the oil filter cover on lasttime you were somewhat crooked putting it in and it scrapped up some flakes in there?

The flakes weren't of aluminum, they looked liked little pieces of glitter of maybe 1 to 1.5 mm in size and maybe 4 or 5 of them on the filter. I spoke to Eric Gorr on the phone just a little bit ago and he said to ride it again and take apart another filter and see if it happens again, if it does then to worry about it. I had never taken apart a filter before so I didn't realize that this was somewhat "normal" to find a few pieces in there periodically. I plan on sending him my motor this winter and having him split the cases and check it out, but in the mean time, I am gonna try and continue riding it without worrying about it to much. I am such a freak about my bike that any new noise I detect or potential problem that may arise, eats me up!! It doesn't do me any good that our bikes are the biggest "noise makers" in the off-road industry :cry: and it sounds like it coming apart every time I ride it. You'd think that after a year and a half of the same noises I would be able shrug it off and keep ringing the neck out of it happily. :cry:

If those little tiny flakes once or twice freaked you out, dont ever buy a Yamaha...My YZF produced crap in the filter in bulk :cry:

Do like Eric Gorr said, check the filter again for the next three oil changes and you'll probably see a reduction in material and then eventually nothing.

A couple flakes are a case splitting event. A gritty filter is. And when your cutting the filter be super carful you dont deposit material off your cutting device into the filter...Use a razor. not a cut off wheel or something...

Uuhhh....i kinda thought that was the point of the oil filter :cry:.....DONT WORRY MAN there are 900 pieces spinning around at 5,000 RPM and bangin around against each other, there is bound to be a lil rubbing :cry:

it happens to ALL OF THEM

CHILL :cry:

I would have to agree with Hondadirtrider5.I see a small chip here and there in my 2004 it's bond to happen,other than that how is your bike running?

My '03 did this and it turned out to be the crank was gone (lower rod bearing). It started with a small amount of ferrous metal pieces and then the next oil change there were lots of them. If you want to see if there are more, pull off the ignition cover (left side cover) and check the magnetic pickup for the stator, mine was covered with metal.