Sign in to follow this  

AAAAAAHHHHH!!! I bought a Yamahahaha PW.... I need help.

I got a smokin' deal on a PW 80 and just couldn't pass it up. So I think, "I'll just mosey on over to the PW forum on TT".....DUH, it's a 2 smoker :cry: :cry:

I know exactally JACK about 2 strokes. I'know one of you guys is an expert. I just need some ideas of thing to watch for and basic maintenace.

It's a low hour machine and was pretty well cared for. But I have no idea what type of oil I should run that will keep it reliable.It's not hopped up, and isn't going to be. This is my boys "trainer" till they get their mini thumpers for xmas, then it will be relegated to "backup" status.

PW80=unbreakable! Run whatever 2 stroke injector oil you can find (Yamalube 2S works well but is by no means the only option), make sure you don't run it out of oil and that's it. Change the tranny fluid every decade or so :cry: and it shouldn't give you any problems.

My son had an 03 that we traded in last summer, and we still have a manual for it somewhere. If we can find it you can have it. Its of no use to us anymore. :cry:

A few years ago I bought a ratty BW 80 (same as PW, but with fat tires). I got a good deal on it because it wasn't running well at all. I figured it just needed a carb cleaning. Turned out the slide was upside down. After I fixed that, the thing ran (and still runs) awesome!

I don't use the injector. Just mix oil and gas. Most injectors run too much oil, so you get a lot of smoke and residue, especially if you're not running high rpms to burn it out. I'm running it at around 50:1 (same as my weedeater) and it's been perfect so far. I tried 32:1 and it fouled the plug a couple times (but my wife was just learning to ride so it might've been her!).

I'm using standard ATF in the tranny. I was running castrol SAE30, but it made the clutch slip too much with my weight. I find that the ATF prevents slipping. Just my observation on my bike, may not be the same with yours.

Not sure about the PW80's but the PW50's have the Off/Run/Start switch on the handlebars. When that thing gets wet it won't run, period. I still have to take mine apart and seal it up. Usually I just blow it out with the air compresser.

I just run the standard injector oil in the bike. It's way easier and the Yamaha oil is cheap assuming it still has the oil tank since a lot of people strip stuff off. I'd ride the PW80 around a little before you get your boys new bikes. It might surprise you as to how fast and reliable it is. I can guarantee it will be faster than most mini thumpers even clogged up.

The only other thing I'd suggest is keeping a spare plug with you just in case it fouls. :cry:

I have a 1996 PW80 [bought it new] and it has been absolutely no problem to own or operate. Without a doubt it has been the most used machine we've ever owned. I ride the kids around the vacant lot next to our house, teach new riders to ride around on. It even got dumped into the river [an over zealous newby riding it] and once I drained all the water out, changed the oil and refilled all the fluids it started right up. The thing has been great. It's been the "play" bike for us for a long time now.

I have pretty much used Yamaha 2-stroke injector oil in the injector tank and Golden Spectro in the transmission. I've also used pre-mix in the fuel tank every now and then when I'd fill my CR125 [former] up and don't feel like changing gas cans.