Sign in to follow this  

Fork Rebuild Problems - Now it Clicks!

:lol: Help!

I just installed the heavier springs from Race Tech. Including the metal tube spacer with a 15 millimeter preload. I also installed Mobil 1 ATF oil to OEM specifications. :cry: I did not touch the shim stack since I didn't have the "special" tool.

Now the beast gives me a "click" everytime the forks are compressed. Like the metal spacers are hitting the side of the fork tube. UGH! :cry:

One fix I can think of is to replace the spacer with plastic PVC pipe, cut to the correct lenth. :cry:

[@#$%&*!] thing is stiffer than [@#$%&*!] now! No more bouncing down the trail. :lol: I'm thinking I may just eliminate this 15 mm of preload. At 260 lbs I'm heavy but hell......but I'm not King Kong! Race Tech recommendations are just that.....recommendations. :cry:

Am I going to have to tear the whole damn thing apart again? :lol: Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 times to get it right! After I'm done, I think I'll be the suspension expert on my block! :cry:

The clicking is normal with Race Tech springs, don't worry about it. I don't know about using ATF when there are so many fork oils to choose from. Make sure you don't get the oil level higher than max. spec. I weigh 160# and use 44KG springs. Still rides very smooth.

I've found Race Tech's recommendations to be too stiff in the past. I'm a moderator on another bike site and that is the general opinion of Race Tech there.

I wouldn't use anything other than fork oil and, unless you change the valving, I'd stick very close to the recommended oil weight, too. I've seen lots of guys recommend heavy oil, from 20W up to 90W gear oil, to "stiffen up" the fork action. That's dumb - your forks can pack down to the point that they bottom out if you use heavy oil in there. Larry

don't use the atf. stick with the fork oil. seems that the vis. rating of atf only needs to be between 7 and 17 w. as long as it falls somewhere in that area it's acceptable. so you never know what you might end up with. one quart may be 7w and the next 17 or anything inbetween. it's for auto matic trans missions. it's a real good lube but not for forks.

take it for what it's worth...... Kaos

Yeah, that clicking noise seems to be "normal" for RaceTech springs used with their metal tube preload spacer thingys...

My bike still does it when I bounce the front end, and there's another guy who's posted about it too, in addition to the guy who mentions it above.

All I can say is, don't worry about it. I never hear it on the trail, only when I'm sitting on the bike with the motor off and bouncing that front end up and down -- click, click, click.

Also, I JUST got my bike back from the local suspension shop and the guy who serviced my forks said everything was in perfect shape internally. So whatever those spacers are clicking against, it doesn't cause any problems.

:cry: Fixed it!

Tore it down again and replaced the metal spacers with 1" PVC pipe cut to exact oem specifications. No preload. Used the Heavy Guage PVC to eliminate any breakage. :cry: Removed the 4 washers as well.

Installed 5 wt. Bel Ray fork oil. Much smoother action and no clicking noise. :cry:

Now, Elkins Flat this Sunday to fully test it out! :cry:

I did the entire thing in less than 1 hour this time! :lol: Practice makes Perfect! :cry: