Sign in to follow this  

liquid cooled versus air cooled

Depends how often you fall / crash. The rads are an extra piece to break and are vulnerable. The liquid cooled engines have a little higher power output too and need a little more maintenance to keep them in prime condition.

Unless you're racing..... I'd say the 250X does not require significantly more upkeep than the XR, and the extra fun and ZIP the 250X has to offer far outweighs that extra effort. :cry:

Those radiators are a liability, yup. Sometimes those radiator shrouds want to reach out and shake hands with trees and shrubs, but if you put on some high quality guards like what Rooster Performance sells your chances of being stranded will be greatly reduced. :cry:

I'm no expert, but I did spend the night at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :cry:

Thanks for the info. I think I am going to stick with a used xr250 or 400 for now. I would love a 250x but $6000 vs. a good $2500 to $3500 used bike is just to much of a difference. Maybe I could upgrade to a 250x or 450x used in two years. :cry:

I avoided liquid cooled bikes in general for fear of the damaged radiator. I have now turned my opinion on them around 180 degrees.

True, the radiators do get bent. I have bent mine twice in the past three years. They have not bent bad enough to have them fixed, but they are bent. I will probably spend the 70.00 this year and have Mylars fix them.

Having said that, I woudl have a tough time buying another air cooled bike. The water cooling lets the engine be reliable in a high state of tune. Two strokes were a real pain in the butt during the late 70's. They figured out how to make lots of power, but you almost felt bad riding a bike with a new top end because you could feel it wear out.They switched to the coated cylinders about that time as well. If all goes as planned, the cylinders will last almost forever.

Dont let the water cooled stuff scare you. Think about this as well. Most cars and trucks will now last over 150,000 miles. Check out how many windshields you will break during those miles. Look at how many rock chips the front of the vehicke gets. Then check between all the pretty louvers and the custom grills. What do you see? A giant radiator.

That's a good point. I guess I am not really worried about radiator damage as much as the standard maintenance and part replacement. I guess that I have the impression that the liquid cooled 4 stroke motors will require the same motor upkeep as a two stroke motorcrosser. Is this just in my head? Or is there some truth to it? I also have the impression that the 4 stroke air cooled is almost maintenance free?

Liquid cooled way to go!

I have 6yrs (and a jillion Trail Mi.) across two WR400's

and even though my current 2000 WR looks Thrashed-it has

been Trbl free-have not even had to adjust valves so far.

Maint has consisted of just oil/chain and sprockets.

Course 1st thing I did (among others) was to put on

Radiator guards-dont ride w/o 'em!

You do have a strange notion stuck in your head. It's not the cooling system that defines the reliability or low maintenance, its the engine design. I agree the new generation of 4-strokes require more maintenance, and yes they all happen to be water cooled, but it's not the water cooling that is the reason. Water cooling has nothing to do with it at all.

For example, the klx300 is of the same trail bike design as the xr250 and they are both low maintenance. The klx300 is liquid cooled, so by your theory you would throw it in the same category as the crf250 engine. You might want to refine your definition about maintenance to the "new" or "motocross" 4-strokes. Thats probably why everyone thought you were seeking info on radiators, when really you wanted info comparing the trail bikes to the new mx 4-stroke bikes.

I see your point maybe I used the wrong subject heading but this was my original question?

Is a 250x far more maintanence than an XR250r air cooled motor. Does anyone have pro's and con's of each?

Maybe I should have asked how much more maintanence are the new high performance trail bikes over the old xr250 motors? :cry:

Hey, I can tell you that the 250X, liquid cooled is more maintenance than the air-cooled XR-250, but it is not because of the cooling. The XR doesn't turn up the revs the X does. The topends are totally designed different. I have a pair of '99 CR-125s converted by Duane Brown at BBR to accept the XR-200 engine which I have stretched out to 245cc. I love the fact that they are almost maintainence free and require very little attention. They will run forever. I also have a BBR-230 that is aircooled and it is a super strong, reliable bike. I have been told that 12 mph is the majic number to keep an aircooled Honda single in heat tolerance. I honestly can't tell a lot of difference in the heat I feel off of the XRs and the X. I don't like sitting w/any of them for long in the tropical heat we have here. Hope that answers your question.