Sign in to follow this  

Dunlop D606's on the street......

I really need dirt tires for the 20% of dirt riding by DRZ sees.The two other DRZ riders I ride with who have more experience with the bikes than me complain that the Dunlops suck on the street. The main complaints are noise and floating at 60+mph freeway speed and sudden slipping and washout while turning into wet driveways and street gutters. Before I sink $120. on tires, weights, balancing, etc...I'd like to consult the pro's and find out if any others have experienced this and/or have any other recommendations? :cry:

I run a 606 on the rear of my dr350 and it is awesome in the dirt--not just for a DOT tire but it really makes a nice dirt tire. On the street, your buddies are right. It's loud and a little washy at 50 or so but not dangerous. If you do more street than dirt, it seems like the 606 would wear pretty quickly. Mine only has a couple hundred miles on it.

I would assume that any quality DOT knobby would work pretty darn good for general around town service. Like it says below, I have the karoos and have zero issues. I would not be fun riding in rain anyway. Don't waste any more time riding on the stock tires.

IMO, if you want semi-nobs, go with D606 or the Pirelli MT21. There are all going to work very similar. It is not like one company uses magic rubber.

I have the D606 front and back and have no complaints, although I don't ride the free way and we don't get much rain in these parts. My buddy just got the MT21s and they work well too. If you only ride 20% dirt, I would consider keeping the trailwings. They work good for the 80% street you ride.

Keep us posted on what you get and how you like it.

Do not keep the stock tires on if you plan on more than 0% off-road. Not talking about a dirt road.

The D606 rear has really big knobs and makes a good offroad tire and a fairly decent street tire other than it wears kinda fast... Well at least mine do. :cry: Wheelies and shinanagins ya know. :cry:

The D606 fronts are no good really especially on road. They are really narrow. They are a bit better once they wear down and round the edges of the knobs IMO. They don't hook up too well in dry stuff or hardpack either.

I am now running an MT21 front and its a much better all around tire. It gives the bike way better front end characteristics. Hooks up nice on and off road. :cry:

im thinking about replacing my trackmaster rear with a 606 the kenda is great off road but it wears out before you get there :cry: i think the bigger knobs of the 606 might last a little longer what do ya think?

i've got 606's on my 2000 S. I find that they are stable up to about 80 and then get kind of loose. On dry pavement they seem as good or better than the wings that came on it. Haven't ridden on wet pavement so can't really comment there. In the dirt they are great. I have about 600 miles on them and they don't really have any noticeable wear on them. I also have them on a SP200 and they are great there also. They are the best all around tire that I have used.

I have 606's front and rear and thought they would be much worse on the road-the tires are basically fine although I tend to ride conservatively on the pavement. Excellent off road performance.

I commute with mine everyday. They are as stated above: noisy and they vibrate till my 'junk' is numb sometimes. They are great on dry pavement; I have been up to 80mph with no problems (as long as they are properly balanced). They make me nervous when it is wet. I take the route with the fewest turns when it rains. I had to make an emergency maneuver one morning, in the rain, when a pickup with a trailer cut me off, and it took very little brake to lock up the rear tire. That said, I gladly trade all of that bad stuff on the road for the world of difference they make off road. If you don't believe me, you can learn like the rest of us and wait until you are offroad with your Trailwings and the front tire washes out. I still have a lump on my sternum from when I learned my lesson over a year ago (2nd lesson: always wear your chest protector). The best option (when I can afford it) is to get a separate set of wheels for the road and set them up with road specific tires. Then you can wear the right shoes for the job. You don't want to wear wingtips to climb a mountain do you? :cry: :cry:

i run 606's front and rear...

I get head shake above 60mph.

I hate the free way, every time i ride on it i feel it may be my last!.

I ride my bike to work alot go offriding about 30% of the time.. so the 606 works great..

(until i can get ahold of a rear rim)

I have about 1900 miles on my 606's (on my DR350s), and the rear is definitely ready to be replaced, but the front has some life left in it. Have a new 606 rear ready to be installed, I just haven't gotten around to it.

I ride 70% dirt, but the tires are fine on pavement if you ride somewhat conservatively. They are actually better than street tires when you get some sand on the road. Around town, you'll be fine. Freeway is OK if the tires are balanced. My biggest problem was wind buffeting behind semi's causing some handlebar shake (although this was on a 75mph freeway).

Yes, the rear locks up easily, but I think that has as much to do with too much front end dive (compared to street bikes) as it does with tire choice. The front will brake pretty hard without locking up (I don't really know how hard, since I haven't reached that point).

Wet roads do make me nervous and ride more conservatively, though I have never lost traction in the wet.

Offroad is what counts the most, though, and the 606's really do perform well offroad.

I have 606s on my bike. They are great off-road but suck on the street. I ride probably 30% off road and the rest on. I have about 500 street miles on them and the rear is 2/3 gone.

As good as the trail wings are on pavement and poor off-road...the 606s are the polar opposite. They suck on the pavement.

When the lugs are tall it dances and is real loose. I could roll on wheelie in second with the trail wings. Not possible with the 606s. Now that they are wore down, they are fair on the street...a little more predictable.

Best solution is two sets of rims. One with trail wings, for the street, and one with 606s for the trail. I am working on getting there.

Ok, well I guess I have a different opinion on the 606's I thought they were terrible off road unless you were in perfect damp loamy soil. I ride a lot of hard pack, and dry dirt here in so. cal.

I Will now buy nothing but Kenda Trakmaster's for the rear of my DRZ. They are ok on the street, (i ride freeway all the time) and cheaper to replace than dunlop's or other brands.

:cry: