Sign in to follow this  

which MX bikes are the best for trail riding too?

I ride mostly woods trails. My DRZ has great bottom and smooth power. Its geared for my local conditions and I ride the heck out of it putting major smiles on my face. Yes I understand the enduro models of KTM EXC and Yamaha WRF and Hondas new X line are more powerful lighter machines, but what about the MX bikes out there? which ones lend themselves to fun on the trails too.

There is something about the MX ergos that I love. The suzuki RM 250 and the RMZ 250 have such great lines with a tall rack and long flat slender seat. The honda CRFs and the new RM-Z450 look great and most MX bikes are 20-30lbs lighther again then the EXC and WRFs.

I know little of the differnce other then the 4 gear and close ratio trannys between the MX lines and the enduro lines. so i would want 5 gears minimum? and a wider tranny rather then a closer on? elctric start is so important. do any MX bikes have electric start or is that gay? :cry:

I do like MX but amd no more then a newbie MXer. I'm sure for my size i would be changing the suspension springs and adding some trail protection that most MXer avoid like hand guards and rad guards....

so point me in the right direction and away from pure MXer that would suck on the trail. 250s 400s and 450s all can apply

I have an '03 YZ250F that I ride about 90% trails and 10% MX tracks. I am impressed with how well it does in the trails... even in stock form. It's so light that it's no problem to whip around on the tightest, most nasty trails. The only area where it needs improvement is the low end torque department. Specifically for those 1/8mile+ 2nd gear almost-verticle hillclimbs! Although, if i wind it out in 2nd enough, it still glides right up. I think one of my first mods will be a larger rear sprocket for more low end. I would certainly recommend a yz250f for an advanced/serious trail rider though. :cry: