Sign in to follow this  

Suggestions for replacement OEM chain???

I'm going to replace the OEM chain on my R and would like to hear some suggestions. I appreciate the help.

Thanks

Trevor

For sure. I took the x-ring off my 450 and put it on my 250 as soon as I got it. Right now it probably has a combined total of over 1 1/2 years on it and its still going strong. I think since I put it on my crf250 I adjusted the chain twice. I'm going to be replacing my worn out stock sprockets soon and I'm defiantly going with another x-ring.

I ordered the DID X-ring because of all the rave reviews on here. No bike to put it on yet though :cry:. Just don't forget to buy the Fastway countershaft spacer for it, or the new chain may drag on the case. The spacer is only like $1.50 or so.

this is kind of a dumb question but was there any loss in power due to the extra weight of the x-ring chain? i am planning on buying a new chain soon an thought about buying an x-ring because i am tired of making adjustments after every ride.

I ordered the DID X-ring because of all the rave reviews on here. No bike to put it on yet though :cry:. Just don't forget to buy the Fastway countershaft spacer for it, or the new chain may drag on the case. The spacer is only like $1.50 or so.

There is no clearance issue on the CRF250R so you don't need the spacer. Not sure about the 250X though.

There is no clearance issue on the CRF250R so you don't need the spacer. Not sure about the 250X though.

Oh, I hadn't heard that. I just assumed that since Fastway also offers one for the CRF250R, there was a need for it when going to an o-ring or x-ring chain. Sorry for any confusion. You can see the CRF250R spacer HERE .

I saw the spacer listed for it too, but the chain isn't even close on mine. They probably figure if they list it people will think they need it.

I'm going to wait until my sprockets are worn before I replace the chain. The stock chain definitely stretches quite a bit. I find I'm adjusting about every other ride. From what I gather, the X or O ring does not stretch as much as the stock chain, thus decreasing the number of adjustments? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

2nd question: What other advantages besides minimal adjustments are there to the X or O ring (besides looking trick)?

Sorry, bit of a novice here. I'm also wondering if when I purchase a new chain, whether X, O, or HD, should I make sure it has the same number of links as the stock 114? Obviously I can shorten a chain but lengthening is a bit more complicated.

Thanks in advance for the advice. I've been riding this bike pretty hard since I bought it in May and love it. I think I'm ready to start making some simple mods like the JD Jetting kit and some of the other free or cheap mods. I own a CRF230F as well and did the "power up" kit which made an amazing difference. Will the JD kit be similar and do I need to mod the airbox or anything else?

Again, thanks.

From what I gather, the X or O ring does not stretch as much as the stock chain, thus decreasing the number of adjustments?

That's an understatement. I put mine on and only adjusted it once in 15 hrs, and that was after the first ride.

2nd question: What other advantages besides minimal adjustments are there to the X or O ring (besides looking trick)?

Since the chain doesn't stretch, your sprockets will last MUCH longer and the inside of your frame won't get chewed up. Look at the inside of your frame by the top roller and see if it's chewed up by the stock chain. I bet it is.