Sign in to follow this  

ktm 625 SMC questions (prospective buyer)

i have the chance to buy a 625 smc. i'll be coming off of a klr650 that i motarded. i'd like to know peoples oppinnions about a few things. seat comfort, vibes, power... any caveats regarding reliability etc... also, how is the power output of the electrical system. will it handle my heated vest and grips?

I'll let some others reply but you know what I think and compared to your KLR, you'll think your on a rocket :cry:

I've owned a KLR 650 and a motard DRZ 400S. I picked up an 625 SMC a few weeks ago. It's everything I've ever wanted in a street bike. It's fast, light and handles great.

I use it for running around DC (which it's perfect for) but I rode it for 425 miles the other day and it wasn't bad at all (except for the tank, see below).

seat: it's more comfortable than my DRZ S but it's a board compared to the KLR. That said I could still walk after seven hours in the saddle (albeit slowly).

vibes: It vibrates a lot. At certain RPMs it's annoying (like 48 mph in third) but on the highway it's fine. It's not as bad as a 1990 TZ 250 if that helps.

reliability: I've only put 600 miles on it so I can't say. Fit and finish are impressive (my first KTM).

electrical: again I can't say, but it kicks over the starter just fine and the battery looks like it's a decent size. And the lights don't go dim at idle.

power: It's impressive. It walks all over the DRZ and KLR. Tons of power. Other things to consider:

The stock jetting is horrible. I wouldn't ride it out the door of the dealer with the stock jetting, especially now that it's getting colder. If you do nothing else at least move the needle clip down to the bottom position and adjust the fuel screw. Search the forum for more info and/or take a look at http://13x.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=7&Itemid=27 for some basic info.

Fuel tank: This is the only thing I don't like about the bike. It looks great but the stock tank only holds 9L (2.4 gal). This was good for about 65 miles before reserve with my current jetting. This just sucks if you plan on doing any real riding. I'll probably get the KTM 12L or 18L tank. The good thing is that it's a simple upgrade (you have to change the seat also).

Whew! long post. Sorry.

Jim

Well I think that about answers all of your questions. I just have one thing to add. I have also done all the mods that 13x describes but I think the most important is changing the gearing. Check out my post here to learn a little more about it HERE I am chrome-smc on there :cry:

My boss has one. I do his detailing and i've noticed that the brand new chrome wheels aren't very good. The wheels already look oxidized and i've only washed it once with soap and water. The bike is incredibly fast after jetting, opening up the airbox, and unplugging the exhaust. But don't expect parts or service to be as good as with the jap bikes. I just today got the open air box for the bike that I ordered 5 months ago.

Also, the bike tends to wobble a little at high speeds. A dampner should be able to handle that...except theres not one available yet.

The wheels dull out because they are polished not chromed. You have to polish them ocassionally with some Mothers aluminum polish. It does wobble a little at high speeds but dropping the forks in the clamps helps. I just put Pirelli Diablo street tires on mine and it doesn't wobble nearly as bad. Also, Scotts makes a bolt on damper kit for the bike :cry:

According to info I got yesterday from GPR, GPR Stabilizers also has a kit available for the 625. It requires a new top triple clamp, but they also sell a kit that includes an Applied Racing top clamp along with the stabilizer. Otherwise, you could buy the KTM hard parts replacement triple clamp.