Sign in to follow this  

different fork style valving comparison...........

ive changed the forks on one of my drz's to 49mm showa inverted twin chambers from a 2000 rm 250.the stock forks are 49mm conventional non-twin chambers.

what say ye group of suspenion tuners about crossing over valving info from one to the other?

irrelavant and start all my testing over?

burned,

What type of riding are you building the bike for? The 49mm conventional forks IMHO are excellent. If you ar doing nothing but hardcore moto work, I'd tip the favor to the twin chambers. The 49mm conventionals have 28mm base valve, 28mm cartridge, and a 12mm piston rod, good stuff!! I think for the offroad, these forks are excellent.

Enough said about that...what exactly do you mean "crossing over valving from one to another"? The '00 twins have a 25mm base valve compared to the 28mm 49's

Take Care, John

Burned, I'm new to all this revalving, back when i rode/race moto all we did was ride stock. I've recently picked up a yz400f and tha old owner siad the forks were revavled. why? and what effect does it have on handlin

superturfman1-------the forks and shock have a flat valve in them getting forced through fluid to cause damping to help control the wheels and the spring on compression and rebound action and forces---------on bothsides of the valve there is a xmas tree shape of about 30 thin shims, and the shims can be thinner and or larger or smaller and the order can be changed to make the riders feel change,---- the hits and the feel of the dirt and if it bottems out hard or not can be altered to suit a rider and his style,---this is called a re-valve------and everybody likes a different feel and has a prefference on what they think it should ride like ---------now burned has taken a different fork from a 2 stroke and is putting it on one of his 4 strokes and he knows that there was a weight difference and a design difference(so there will be different valves and valving and a different riding style in mind on the two bikes from the factory) and he was asking if he could swap info back and forth from one type bikes changes to the other in order to alter valving and have some kind of baseline from the one fork to the other fork --or just start from with what is in the 00 fork and test and go from there---i say just test and go from there ( it shouldnt be to much like starting from scratch).,-------------------------------now i had a yz 400f and i liked it very much but i had to realy alter the valving and the springs and the oil height to get the thing to take the pounding of mx ,-and so did everybody else that had one so thats why he had it re-valved.

hay burned, how is it going ?----i see you are changing some componuts on your drz------i agree with john that the conventional 49s were good ( i had a 98 rm 250 that had them and i could not believe how good they worked stock for me)--but i also had the 49 upside downs on my 99 and 00 rm 125 and realy could not believe how those forks worked to -----i had to go to a tighter bottem cone and raise the oil level but the things were good and smooth and plush------i say just go and ride the thing and see what it does at first (basically starting over)-----i think some of the info and valving are probabbly going to work differently because of your set up i would think,-----but it would be kool to see what it does !!!!

thanks john and kelstr.

yes i know the 49mm conventionals that drz's have are really good forks.some of the best imho.it preach that all the time to drz guys.

i use it for some moto work as well as trail work.i more than anything just wanted to test them.they do look trick on a drz.ive been looking for clean set of them for along time.the fact they are 49mm inverted forks always intrigued me. :cry:

i have 98 rm forks on my supermoto drz and they work unbelieveably well.

i was thinking there may formula or method of converting known shim stacks to work on different size valves.

i know the spring rates to use,so i will slap them in with some fresh fluid and go ride it.

off to test i go! :cry: