Sign in to follow this  

help on changing pressure springs?

I removed the small nut and some shims. Then I came acrossed a cup shape valve that I dont know how to remove. Please help.

When I did mine, I removed end opposite of the shims. I had to use a thin 10 or 12mm wrench and rag and some pliers to get it apart. Set it down and hit again when your fresh if it's still baffling you...

I just did mine and you need to remove the other end. You need a thin 13mm wrench. The wrench needs to fit between the coils of the I.C. spring.

Once you get the jam nut loose, you can grab the damper with a pair of channel locks between the valve stack and the spring seat. There is a boss there. The damper is assembled into the cap with green loctite of some kind and it can be a little firm getting it out...

Thing is, unless your pretty light, putting those softer IC's can mess with your overall spring rate more than you think.

I ended up putting the stock IC's back in and getting the fork dialed with my subtank setup. I ran the subtanks with the softer IC's too, and it was pretty plush, but lacked adjustment. I had to run the clickers at 5 and then it was a tad harsh. But once I put the stock IC spring back, I was able to back off the compression clickers to get some more plusheness, the fork stays higher in the stroke and the bottoming is nicely controlled with a fairly high oil hieght at 400cc's.

Shawn, what was your bike doing that caused you to put in the softer IC springs? I'm considering putting my stockers back in as the forks bottom a little too easily and I already have .50's in the forks. Have you revalved your forks? I'm 215lbs and have the 1.72 IC spring in right now.

Thanks. I looked at today and got it apart. I am 175- 180. I am trying the 172. Just tring something new.

It was just harsh over small stuff when I got the clickers in far enough to ease the bottoming, the small stuff was pretty brutal. So I put 1.61 IC's in there to try to ease that and it did, but then I lost some of the big hit damping :cry:

I then decided to start messing with the oil hieghts and got it better, but it still was lacking.

Then one day I was doing something else in garage...and said screw it Im going to try it with the heavier springs in there, that was the only combo I hadnt tried (my sub tank setup and the heavier springs) and it worked great.

Im still working with the stock valving in the fork.

Im 195# w/no gear and run .49kg springs in front and oil at 400cc. The sub tank seems to be the ticket.

All this came about when I did another guys fork. I put a subtank setup on his bike (zerofear66's)and .50 springs (he's 225 at least) and rode his bike afterwards to test his flex bars. what I noticed beyond the flex bars was his fork being totally bitchen! His worked better than mine and it got me thinking...more like obsessed... about why...because other than the springs the fork were identical. And I knew his springs are too stiff for me. So I put the stock IC's back. :cry:

I am using 1.76 not 1.72. I just tried it and not sure if I notice much. I will have to ride it more. I only went out for a couple of minits. I add the oil lock collars to help with the bottoming. I hope it helps. I also set my oil level at 400. I don't know anything about suspension on a bike but this will help me figure out what I want. Did you try the oil lock collers and di they work? Thanks for the info.

Thanks Shawn. I have an off road race coming up in 2 weeks so I'm going to leave the lighter ones in until after that then put the stock IC's springs in. I have got the same thing going on that you did, I like initial plush ride but it bottoms more than what I would like on the track. I haven't touched my valving yet and Rapture and Davbrucas both told me that is the ticket. Rapture's bike has the nicest fork I have ever felt on a dirt bike so I figure he may be on to something...