Sign in to follow this  

Installation of Hot Stage cam cost?

I know the hot cam cost around $150 or so but what is the installation price and is there any need for jetting changes?

Installing it takes 20 minutes to remove the autodecompressor and putting it in the new one.

Shimming the cam is another story. As long as you access to the shims it is no problem. If not my suggestion would be to take the motor out, remove the old cam, install the autodecompressor yourself, find a race shop, not a dealer, bring the motor down to them and have them do it for you. You can then put the motor back in.

A shop in PA here charges $75 to shim it and button everything up (which includes timing the cam) You can then put the motor back in and ride like the wind

Later

take the motor out? thats way too much work.

I just read an article that says it works with the existing shims.

If you do need it shimmed...just take in the head...it can be bench shimmed but be sure to double check that they shim it with the casting and dash on the gear lined up dead nutz...

I had a stage one hotcam and did not need to rejet. As for instalation, do it yourself and use the install money to buy the shim kit from hot cams. The kit is $70 and comes with a ton of shims. I know this sounds like a lot of money but if you price out the shims it comes out to be quite a deal.

... :cry:

I have never opened up the engine on ANY of my bikes ever. I put in the hot cam and it took me a cumulative 3 hours. ( i had to re-shim also) So easy I almost couldn't believe it... Don't take your engine out, don't have a dealer do it. If you are only putting the cam in it should take you longer to remove the plastics, seat, and tank then putting the cam in. Simple as that.

If you need any help I just did it on mine.

Timing isn't hard either. I don't get why people say timing is so hard. I guess it could be if it ws way out of wack but my T mark and the mark on the cam sprocket were perfect and I barely did anything.

I also went through Hot Cams for the shim kit. Good deal considering they gave me like a billion shims. :cry:

Powder Hound, I haven't really gotten on the gas much with the Hot Cam. How did you like your stage 1?

I'd say total install time for my stage 1 cam was about 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour. Very easy. Timing was easy too. My marks always line up on the cam, no problems with timing. Still trying to perfect my jetting right now. I need to run her at 3/4 to full throttle to see where I'm at Main-jet wise. The shim kit from Hot cams is a MUST for anyone with a 4-stroke. I couldn't believe the amount of shims they give you. I'll never worry about shims again!