Sign in to follow this  

is a xr250 big enough?

Hey guys help me out w/some opinions. Sold all my "fast" bikes and I am currently bikeless. Had a number of bike s in the past-cr500, kx250, yzf and so on that I rode w/ friends. Now doing the family stuff (and loving it) and need a trail bike. Looking at a 95' xr250 for a good price. I am 6' 225 lbs. and I am not sure if a 250 is enough. Want to have fun w/the kids and still ride w/ the guys once in a while. Should I look for a 600? Price is major here, building a house. Any comments? Thanks. :cry:

You're too heavy and too experienced for an XR250. The 400 might be a good place; lots of aftermarket, lots of potential, lots of knowledge in this group (present company excepted). With those fast bikes you used to ride, you might want to look at the bigger CRF's--you can putt with the family--and romp when time permits.

:cry:

Listen to Red Snapper since he makes a lot of sense, The only thing I would add is that you will probably find an xr600 for less money than an xr400 and it would not be to much power since you used to ride an cr500 .

That is what I was afraid of. :cry: Wife rides a xr200, fun but I would squash it so I thought a 250 might work but... thanks for the replies! :thinking:Now to look for a xr600. (they are cheaper than the 4 in my experience)

sorry, but it looks like everyone posting here agree the the xr250 is not the bike 4-u. i would have to say that the xr400 is perfect for what you want. after riding a cr500 u would have to shoot yourself after a day out on a xr250. its a great bike but at 200+ as am i, it just wont cut it. the 600 may be cheaper, but its a serious get down throwin rocks thumper. the 400 is manly enough to billy goat up a mountain, yet easy to control at slower speeds and tight turns. happy bike hunting :cry:

I'd go for the 400. I take a friends kid brothers riding all the time and the 400 is perfect. I've even doubled the younger one (in front of me) when his bike had a flat and he didn't want to be left at home. Didn't even know the kid was there.

That being said, I still really like the 600, even for the woods. I wouldn't mind having a 600 as a second bike (with a baja kit).

I'm not sure I agree about the 400 being more expensive, I bought my 99 in 02 for 1300!!! Sure it needed new tires but but it was still an absolute steal!!! Just keep your eyes open for good deals either bike would be great for what you're wanting to do.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:

I am 6' 225 lbs. and I am not sure if a 250 is enough. Want to have fun w/the kids and still ride w/ the guys once in a while.

I was in the same boat as you this spring. I'm about the same build (6' 215) I ride mostly single track, rocky hills, etc, and couldn't be happier with the XR400. I did look briefly at the 250, but because of my size, decided on the 400. Lots of grunt, lots of grins, lots of fun. Not too much for a 45 year old to handle on the hills.2 kicks cold starting, 1 kick warm. LOTS of support here in this forum. Go for the 4 over the 2.5

:cry:

Seth

Thanks guys. I check this post often to see if anyone has a different opinion. Sounds as everyone is on the same page, I am just too big for a 250. I my neck of the woods 400's are still getting over 2k even for a 96'. Looks like I'll pass on the 250 and look for a 600. Need to watch the $$$, building a house. I better get something soon or the wife may spend my "bike cash" on more house stuff. :cry:

I did look at a real clean kx500, wonder how that would do... :cry: Thanks again, now to the "bikes for sale" forum.

Go for the xr400. The kx500 and cr500 ALMOST thump. :cry: Other bikes would be xr600, dr350, klx300, and maybe a kdx220 or 200. Nice bikes with cheap prices that are good for the trails.

The last two bikes I had were a '94 XR250L an a '92 CR250. I was about 6'2"-3" and 175-80 when I had them. I ditched the XR because I wanted more power and it didnt take long for me to find its limits. The CR went because it sucked for anything but fast riding. The 600 is almost my ideal combo of rideability and power.