sprained wrist ?'s

i overshot a a double and flat landed about 2 months ago and it sprained both my wrists well my left wrist is better now and doesn't bother me but my right still gives be problems if i hit anything harsh ...is there anything i can do to try to strengthen it ...

I would wrap it with an ACE bandage or better imobilize it with a semi cast. Nothing you can do will "strengthen" the wrist now that wouldn't worsen your condition. Let it heal for about 3-4 weeks and then moderate exercise for a week. I did it to mine and it took 5 weeks to fully recover. Exercising after 3 1/2 though.

Immobilizing the wrist will only make the tendons/ligaments weaker and possibly make it worse later on. If you're still having problems what kind of pain are you getting? (ie sore tooth achy pain or sharp shooting pain) Where at exactly? What movements are causing pain? If you relax the wrist that is hurting and you move it with the other hand do you get any pain? You have many small bones that make up the wrist and if you happened to have one of the bones not in the right spot now it could be what is causing you trouble. So, don't immobilize it but try to take it easy for a week or so and see if it gets any better. If it doesn't you might want to see and ortho and get an xray to make sure everything is where it should be.

A strain/sprain is a torn or severely stressed ligament/tendon. The only way for them to properly heal is to imobilize the wound. Why do you think they put a cast on a broken bone, or why you wear an ACE when your hurt? The ACE may not be enough as you can move through the brace. Yes it will weaken the areas affected and atrophy may start to show or lack of range of motion. However, you can begin to strengthen them when they are healed "properly". Continuing to use and work a sprained wrist will only lead to more problems down the road. I.E. arthritis or elongate the tear/strain. Sprains/Strains occur in different severities. Call up your doctor and see what he/she says. I sprained my wrist in July and this is what I was told by several physicians.

Actually, fractures (broken bones) are treated entirely different from sprains.

Most sports med/Physios go with the theory (each injury is different obviously so assessment is the #1 priority- get it checked if it doens't feel quite right) that immobilize/ice for the first 24 - 48 hrs then begin movement. Those who do movement (under the correct circumstances) have been shown to heal alot faster.

Regular Doc's tend to go for the "don't use it" theory.

well my wrist is fine during day to day things but if i roll my wrist it makes about 3 or 4 popping sounds and thats when i get a pain ...i know don't do it if it hurts but just saying ....when riding if i am hitting some really bad braking bumps before a turn (mostly when i first let off and the front dives) or if i land hard i get a sharp pain that goes away right after it happens but it seems that once it happens it's a lot easier to trigger it ....i havne't ridden in about 2 weeks so we'll see ..thanks for the help

• 2 weeks later...

I done the same thing but only hurt left wrist that was about 7 weeks ago the first 3 weeks it was very senitive to pushing actions(not in constant pain)i would use my hand normaly but be carefully not to push hard.after 7 weeks it is a lot better but i have found if i have a hard pushing jolt it will hurt a bit.i have been told that tendons heal much slower than bones.i have still been riding but not going too crazy

If it hurts, don't do it.

Anyway, pain is YOUR body's way of telling you, all is not well right now. Let it heal. Listen to what your body is saying. If it needs a break for a bit, do it. If it needs some support during certain activities for a while, wrap it. If it burns after excercise, ice it.

i sprained mine 12 weeks ago and it has give me fits. i have had it x-rayed twice with no signs of fx. (i dianosed myself with a navicular fracture,but the test say no. i have done every type of modality/exercise that you can think of (ultrasound, e-stim, anadyne, contrast bath, etc)with very little long term relief. i am going wednesday to try steriod injections. wist injuries take a long time to heal because of limited blood flow. (esp with tendon injuries) i have treated patients with similar injuries that have taken up to a year to heal. right now that seems to be the boat i am in.

Immobilizing the wrist will only make the tendons/ligaments weaker and possibly make it worse later on.

this is not correct splinting is common practice with ligament/tendon injuries esp with the wrist. tendonitis easily sets up in the wrist and the easiest way to prevent it is immobilization. it is common practice in my clinic to splint or soft cast sevear ligament/tendon injuries of the wrist for up to 4 weeks

Immobilizing the wrist will only make the tendons/ligaments weaker and possibly make it worse later on.

this is not correct splinting is common practice with ligament/tendon injuries esp with the wrist. tendonitis easily sets up in the wrist and the easiest way to prevent it is immobilization. it is common practice in my clinic to splint or soft cast sevear ligament/tendon injuries of the wrist for up to 4 weeks

That's funny because I've had people (?can't remember who) tell me that wrapping an injured joint is wrong because it will weaken it. I'm like, "WHAT? THAT'S a load of crap!!" Having had to doctor my horses all the time, [and myself; I'm accident prone] with various sprains, strains & injuries, resting the afflicted body part is usually the prescribed course of treatment for those kinds of injuries. Do you know the HOURS, I've spent doing hydro therapy and miles of duct tape I've used to keep leg wraps on horses?? GACK. (Duct tape rocks!!) I'm sorry but rest, wrapping and cold for inflammation does indeed work. Then an adequate time of slow work to recondition the injured leg (etc.) is usually enough.

Sorry c91x: I know you aren't a horse!!

...immobilize/ice for the first 24 - 48 hrs then begin movement. Those who do movement (under the correct circumstances) have been shown to heal alot faster.

I'm gonna retract my 48 hour statement as i found the article I vaguely remembered seeing the early mobilization theory mentioned in but it was an ankle article and therefore may or may not have no bearing on wrists-

immobilization vs mobilization of Ankle sprain

no matter what, poor c91x hurt himself over 2 months ago so he needs to get himself into see a Sports Med doc / good physio to be reassessed.

I do know that our Sports Med Doc soft casted my hubby for a fracture in his hand while a friend of mine, with a similiar injury said his Doc wouldn't consider a soft cast/brace.

i sprained mine 12 weeks ago and it has give me fits. i have had it x-rayed twice with no signs of fx. (i dianosed myself with a navicular fracture,but the test say no.

well got good and bad news today. first the bad: i went to a ortho that i work with for a 3rd opinion and yep i was right mavicular fx. i will be having surgery thursday to put a scew in it. the good news is i have a great dr doing the surgery and if all goes well it should be healed in 6-8 weeks. dr said he did not see any indications that the wrist would not heel to 100% if you dont mind say a little prayer for me thursday around 130