Sign in to follow this  

Pipe Dyno Comparison

Rockchucker did such a service to the TT DRZ community by offering to scan some articles he had on the DRZ in some old Dirt Rider mags. So I had him send me the DRZ pipe shootout from August 2000 Issue. :cry: :cry:

Anyhoo it has a bunch of pipes and dyno results in tabular format. So I threw the numbers in a spreadsheet for quick comparison. There are 2 worksheets in the workbook. Sheet 2 has some graphs. They all are pretty close till you come to the mid-higher RPMs. The Yosh RS-3 SS really shows its true colors. :cry:

Anyways keep in mind some of the pipe designs may have changed as this was done in late 2000. I know the big gun for sure at least design was changed some (core inserts/endcap ?).

If anyone has other pipe shootouts from other mags with other pipes let me know and I will add them to the spreadsheet. :cry:

http://home.earthlink.net/~natedog224/pipeshootout.xls

Interesting. Just put on my full yoshi SS and I swear it boosted the bottom end more than anything else. On an intersection I take off from fairly briskly on the commute home with a little rise in it, I normally pull a little wheelie with the opened up stock exhaust. With the new yoshi and a clip more needle I pulled a MONSTER wheelie this evening!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

The dyno runs are made with wide open throttle. I think the aftermarket pipes dramatically increase throttle response on part throttle openings. It is that response, which is not measured on the dyno chart, that makes wheelies easier.

i can't speak for the E models, but if any S model folks with a stock setup wants to see what a full yoshi pipe, rejet, and jesse's Vortex airbox can do here's a comparo to a stock S and my bike with those mods. note, this is still with the cv carb, and it is on an eddy current dyno, which i'm told rates 3-4 hp lower than the dynojet dynos -and- this run was done without a tune up prior to the run. i wanted to measure it to compare to my 440, yoshi cams, E compression and fcr carb, but i never got around to running that one. (my butt dyno told me it helped :cry:)

dyno.gif

you can see hp and torque doubled at 4000 rpm, making wheelies much much easier.

note this comparison is two bikes, but on the same dyno, so take it at that. i didn't bother to run mine stock, but someone else did. they also dyno tuned his bike with the airbox mod and i think the white bros pipe, but the yoshi came out ahead.

i can't speak for the E models, but if any S model folks with a stock setup wants to see what a full yoshi pipe, rejet, and jesse's Vortex airbox can do here's a comparo to a stock S and my bike with those mods. note, this is still with the cv carb, and it is on an eddy current dyno, which i'm told rates 3-4 hp lower than the dynojet dynos -and- this run was done without a tune up prior to the run. i wanted to measure it to compare to my 440, yoshi cams, E compression and fcr carb, but i never got around to running that one. (my butt dyno told me it helped :cry:)

dyno.gif

you can see hp and torque doubled at 4000 rpm, making wheelies much much easier.

note this comparison is two bikes, but on the same dyno, so take it at that. i didn't bother to run mine stock, but someone else did. they also dyno tuned his bike with the airbox mod and i think the white bros pipe, but the yoshi came out ahead.

The stock numbers do not look right - i.e., low...especially the torque.

like i said, different dyno than you see in mags, rates lower. plus some bike are lower than others, it happens. also this was probably a CA model if it makes any diff.

cheers

droo