Sign in to follow this  

finally chose a new bike.....

I have been toiling over a new bike for the past six weeks. I love my '02 YZ250F but have been open to others. I looked into the RMZ250 because my dealer handles them as well but it just seems like the valve issues were too great. I looked at the Hondas but there seem to be reliablility issues there as well and I just don't really like the look. Of course I thought about a new YZF but... I bought the '05 YZ125. Okay, it's like being a traitor on this board but I still have my YZF (my son took it over) and I plan to buy a wr450 for the desert. Man this this bike is awesome. It is so light it feels like my son's old 80, only taller with a lot more power. I haven't had it on the track yet but I can't wait. Forgive me, at least it's a Yamaha.

Can't wait for a ride report camparing it to your YZF. I too have considered getting the 05 YZ125 so please give us an opinion when you have tried it. - Andy.

I just picked up an 05 YZ250 and after riding a 2-stroke I am pretty close to selling my 250F and buying the 125 as well. Let me know how it goes.

I have an 04 250f. I ahve ridden an 05 125 on a mx track w/ similar results. The bike felt like an 80, decent power but nowhere near as torgue oriented as the 4 stroke engine. You have to keep it in the powerband which means clutch fanning but power and over rev are excellent. The bike rails turns and floats over jumps. I liked it.

I can tell you this, it handles really good on flat corners. I've been riding around my yard, which is 10 acres with some small whoop-like sections. The suspension is not set-up or broke in and it's already better than my Factory Connection set-up 02 250F. On a flat corner I can just sling it around. My riding style kind of fits the 2-stroke though. I love my 250F but I am more of a "hack and slash" rider than a smooth one. I can't wait to take big jumps on the 125. It feels like it would do backflips it's so light (I don't plan on trying this however). I can get sompletely crossed up cornering and it feels like I can just pick it up and set it straight while in motion.

Thursday night I will hit the track and will post a report then.

Very cool! That 05 125 looks awesome! I'm impressed that much new design was put into a 2-stroke. I have a 2003 YZ125 and a 2004 YZF250. I'll always own a 125 2-stroke, they are just FUN. If i were a serious racer though, there is NO way it can compete with the 250F. But I ride for FUN. The 125 is so fun to throw around on jumps. I'll ride a couple hard laps (wide open full out attack) on the 125 and feel like i'm going fast, then get on the 250F and be amazed at how much faster i can go and twice as long also! I love how the 250F holds lines going into corners. It is very noticeable after jumping off the 125. Anyway, they are all great bikes!! Let us know how that 05 125 is after you get it out on a real track!! Enjoy!

Gonzo if you are thinking about selling your 250f for a 125 because you like the 250 2 stroke u need to reconsider. The 250 2stroke is 2 times the power of a 125 2stroke so of course you would think it is way faster and better than your 250f 4 stroke which is in the 125 class. It is your decison though just givin u my 2 cents.