Sign in to follow this  

Dragging Brakes?

Does anybody have an idea what's causing this problem. We changed out rear rotor and pads on my son's KLX300. After a days worth of riding the wheel side of the rotor is actually starting to get grooves in it. EBC rotor and pads. Are the pads wrong and causing the grooves?

Is there something in the caliper causing the inside pad to be dragging and putting too much pressure on that side of the rotor?

If it isn't dragging what accounts for the groove marks?

I'm stumped, Any help is appreciated. :cry:

To update on this topic: I e-mailed EBC and asked them for any suggestions. They concluded I had an older rotor (newly purchased but old stock) and agreed that with the new metalic pad it would quite probably would chew up the rotor like crazy. They're replacing rotor and pads at no charge. Nice for a change that a company is standing behind their product. :cry:

While your working on the brakes why not take the time to rebuild the calipers and master cylinders?, an easy and inexspesive job, cheap insurance in my book. :cry:

While your working on the brakes why not take the time to rebuild the calipers and master cylinders?, an easy and inexspesive job, cheap insurance in my book. :cry:

Great Idea! Wonderful Idea! ...How do I do that??? :cry:

They are very basic components and if you have a shop manual and basic tools you should'nt have much trouble, the rebuild kits are inexspensive and your local dealer should be able to give you any info you need to do the job. If your not confident enough to do the job? then your welcome to PM me and I'll give you a step by step rundown from teardown to bleeding the system as would many other TT members, (one of the bonus,s of this site), :cry:, offroaders are a good group of people and help or info is just a phone call or e mail away. if you have any questions let me know. :cry:

Does anybody have an idea what's causing this problem. We changed out rear rotor and pads on my son's KLX300. After a days worth of riding the wheel side of the rotor is actually starting to get grooves in it.

are the pin(s) that hold the pads in the caliper galled or otherwise rusty? If they are take them to a wire wheel and polish them up. Also, a little anti-seize will slow down the rusting process in the future. Are the pucks hanging up in the caliper cylinders? Maybe remove the pucks and lighty clean up the bores in the caliper with 00 steel wool. Then you can also check the seals in the caliper and make sure they aren't crusty. Bad seals will cause the pucks to hang and drag. Good luck.........

Thanks guys, you're giving great advise. :cry: But now I'll add a twist. One of the "hunger" pins that hold the pads in was damaged at one point (before we bought the bike)and I can't get to the hex head. I actually drilled and was using an extraction bit when the bit broke in the hole! I stopped everything until I got the new pads and was able to install the new pads while the forward pin was still in place. It worked but the current hanging up may still be taking place. So, new question: Can I rebuild the caliper without removing that forward pin?

I appreciate the help.