Sign in to follow this  

S or E versions

I`ve got an 03 S and wondered which parts from the E version are better than that of my S? Are there any parts that are a direct swap. Will the std E parts be as good as the aftermarket equivilant??? Makes sence to buy 2nd hand E parts to improve the bike where poss.

:cry:

I hate being a newbie! You ask LOADS of Q`s and have very little help to give! Wait till this time next year, I`ll be an expert :cry:

first of all , you can use search option.

second , WELCOME.

about differnces.

E:

platic fuel tank

fcr carb (S has mikuni)

lighter subframe

bigger headpipe (by 3mm)

lighter headlight (S has big metal braket which the E doesn't have)

Thats what comes on top of my mind now...

good luck , and check the sticky Modification Data Base

You forgot the cams and cdi box are different as well. So is the base gasket to increase compression.

Oh, but you see the S gets a fancy seat strap to even things out :cry:

:cry: :cry: That coming from you :cry:

about differnces.

E:

platic fuel tank

fcr carb (S has mikuni)

lighter subframe

Lighter :cry: ahh, ya,, you ever weighed the difference?? you can hardly tell which is which in each hand,, ,, but yes the E will be a few Oz lighter,, also it will not have a place to mount rear pegs if that is important to you,, nor a good place to hang a tail light and plate... The biggest down side to the S sub frame is.. it tends to get bent more in a get off.. as it hangs back farther then the E one,, and gets bent sideways.

bigger headpipe (by 3mm)

lighter headlight (S has big metal braket which the E doesn't have)

What he meant to say, was the S has a head light that actually produces useable light :lol: and yes, the brackets may weigh 2 OZ more then the rubber ones on the E :cry:

As 10Guy pointed out, the higher RPM limit of the E cdi, cams, are also a difference in the E.

Lets see, then there is the speedo cluster of the S

Frame with a title that allows registration and a plate in every US state

and yes,,, the S even got a nifty seat strap (best used for removing the seat, cuz I'm pretty sure it would rip is used to pick up the bike :lol:)

I`ve got an 03 S and wondered which parts from the E version are better than that of my S? Are there any parts that are a direct swap. Will the std E parts be as good as the aftermarket equivilant??? Makes sence to buy 2nd hand E parts to improve the bike where poss.

:cry:

I hate being a newbie! You ask LOADS of Q`s and have very little help to give! Wait till this time next year, I`ll be an expert :cry:

I replied to the other post, but really did not answer your question....so...

The E cams,and CDI while not really better then some aftermarket options,, are a nice upgrade for the S, but not much cheaper then Hot Cams, and or a 11K CDI (that you will need to do some valve spring work in order to use,, so not a direct bolt on option)

The E base gasket will bring the S up to full stock DRZ CR

The FCR carb from aa E would be a great swap,, or get one from a Yamaha WR, or in my opinion,,,, the best bet is to spend the extra coin and buy a new FCR carb swap kit from Sudco

The FCR carb from aa E would be a great swap,, or get one from a Yamaha WR, or in my opinion,,,, the best bet is to spend the extra coin and buy a new FCR carb swap kit from Sudco

Why is that??? :cry:

So would I notice any extra power from an FCR carb swap alone? I intend to do a 3x3 mod, dyno jet kit and a full exhaust of some kind. What will the power be like then? The only gripe I have is that on the road she seems to want a 6th gear. I`m ALWAYS going for 6th cos I feel that at 60ish MPH she feels like she`s reving too hard. I`m worried if I fit a smaller rear sprocket (after all teh above mods) I`ll loose that 1st and 2nd gear instant wheelie and that easy clutch up in 3rd. What dya recon?

quote]

Why is that??? :cry:

You like seeing me suffer from my mistakes,, don’t ya.... :cry: Is that a wise thing to do , just prior to bringing your new motor over to my place :cry:

What 10guy is alluding to, is the trouble I had with my used carb,, leaking o rings, gaskets, trashed jets, vac leak requiring replacement of hard parts, just lots of unknowns,, and when it is all said and done, plus cleaning time, you have a used carb, that still needs to be tuned..

If I knew the carbs back ground, I might be willing to buy used again for a swap, otherwise, I'd go new.

I watched what bronco went through just to get his used carb working. If you are not able and willing to troubleshoot problems buy new. Even if you save a couple of hundred dollars in the begining, the parts you will/may have to replace cost a few dollars (at least) each. They begin to add up quickly and then if you add in your work to pull and fiddle with the carb until you get it right it puts it even or over the top. Then you have the frustration level :cry:.

1 more word and ill leave to the KTM forum :cry:

1 more word and ill leave to the KTM forum :cry:

i don't know about the 03's but the 01's differed also in that they didn't have grease injection nipples on the various rear suspension parts like the E has. they also have the chain guard, the rims do not have rim locks on them, and the tanks for the E and the S mount differently.

=)

i don't know about the 03's but the 01's differed also in that they didn't have grease injection nipples on the various rear suspension parts like the E has. they also have the chain guard, the rims do not have rim locks on them, and the tanks for the E and the S mount differently.

=)

None of the S bikes had the zerk fittings on the swing arm.. Of course, none of the E models get grease where it needs to be when the owner uses only those zerk fittings to service the swing arm.. So that point is a wash.. If you want to properly service the rear suspension,, you must disassembly it.. period.

Jason

I talked to a mate with a DRZ last night. He's gone for a CRD pipe as it's popular with a lot of the green laners in the UK. Not too noisy, either, so won't upset the ramblers.......much :cry:. Race Spec sell them in the UK.

Cheers

Ian

So would I notice any extra power from an FCR carb swap alone? I intend to do a 3x3 mod, dyno jet kit and a full exhaust of some kind. What will the power be like then? The only gripe I have is that on the road she seems to want a 6th gear. I`m ALWAYS going for 6th cos I feel that at 60ish MPH she feels like she`s reving too hard. I`m worried if I fit a smaller rear sprocket (after all teh above mods) I`ll loose that 1st and 2nd gear instant wheelie and that easy clutch up in 3rd. What dya recon?

bronco78, I am curious about this also. Did you do the 3x3 mod, dj kit, exhuast before going to a fcr. I was wondering if doing fcr would give about the same performance as the dj kit,3x3mod, yosh full or equivalent?

Also were there any downsides to the fcr such as drastic reduction in mpg?

bronco78, I am curious about this also. Did you do the 3x3 mod, dj kit, exhuast before going to a fcr. I was wondering if doing fcr would give about the same performance as the dj kit,3x3mod, yosh full or equivalent?

Also were there any downsides to the fcr such as drastic reduction in mpg?

Yes I did the 3x3 mod, DJ kit, Pro circuit exhaust, prior to the cams or FCR. It was a nice improvement in ridability.. But you can not compare that, and the FCR swap..FCR is about throttle response and over all power.... neither of which you will get with the CV carb.

Yes your MPG will go down,, mine dropped to about 50%

If you swap to an FCR, the 3x3 mod, and a JD jetting kit is the only way to go.. The exhaust will help for sure.... but I'd guess (never tried it) you would still see gains with a stock exhaust.. Though with the S header, it is going to be choked down.

Dropped by 50%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I though the MPG was really bad, I`m only getting 70miles before reserve not sure what I canget from reserve. 50% though thats amazing! So I would go about 100+ miles before hitting reserve?? Makes buying the carb and not a bigger tank seem worth while. Where can Iget one of these carbs here in the UK??

:cry: Yaa, yes,, I meant worse,, not better.. The FCR is a Pumper carb,, every time you twist the throttle,, it gives a squirt.. that cost MPG for sure.. and with the motor mods I have,, I twist a lot :cry: I really have no good MPG data.. All I know is, with the CV carb I got a lot more miles from a tank then I do with the FCR.. With that said,, I found out last ride I was really missing out on a "large" part of my IMS 3.2 tank by not filling it all the way up. The lower part fo the tank has the frame running thought it,,, so not a lot of volume at that point... and the gas gets used very fast,, but the top third is pure open space,, and a lot of gas resides there (or not if you do not fill it up) so I need to make a few more rides with measured amounts before I start saying just HOW bad my mileage is.