Sign in to follow this  

Orange v's Blue

I have added the following post to the WR forum:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/1382506/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/all/fpart/1

A lot of guys are telling me that the KTM is a maintenance nightmare and that it is unreliable compared to the WR. Is this the case or are they just biased?

Do you have to adjust the valves more frequently on a KTM.

My 450 EXC is still relatively new, I've done my first scheduled service, but other than me playing/modding it. I havent. had a single issue, my two other buddies 02'-300exc and a 02 400exc haven't had any reliability issues, thats why I got a KTM

o you have to adjust the valves more frequently on a KTM.

The manual calls for an adjust the 1st 3 hours then every 15 hour after that. The rangers at the OHV park where I live ride the KTM 400, they have 2 of them, and they only adjust the valves 1 time a year, and they put many hours and miles on them. The BLM ranger in my area rides a KTM also, and he rides more than them.

my buddy and his buddy both ride the ktm 520 and they only adjust their valves 1 time a year. I think that they are not wise and will be checking mine close to the 15 hour mark for the first 30-60 hours then open it up to probably every 20-30 hours depending on how they are holding.

The WR is probably a very reliable machine but I have actually seen more top end failures out of the Yamaha than the KTM. Probably has to do with the RPM they run.

I would say you would adjust the valves a bit more on the KTM probably more because they are easier to do than the Yamaha.

Cher'o,

Dwight

I have had very good luck with my KTM too. People who tell you they are a maintenance nightmare are either going from very old stories or simply incorrect information.

Specifically on the valves, I'd be interested in what the manual on the WR calls for on checking valves. I know my friends' CRF450s call for incredibly frequent service intervals. The first check is crucial, as they do move a bit as they set in. After that, it is generally agreed that 15 hours is erring far on the safe side. Since it isn't a really major task on the KTM bikes most of us probably check them too often.

Both are great bikes; I prefer the motor, weight distribution and components of the KTM.

Good luck!

Put 2 years on my 400 and a kazilion miles, reliability was fantastic, compared to yamahas I ride with. Yes you do check the valves 2-3- times a season, but no big deal, takes about an hour.Now have 450 with 120 hrs on it, reset valves every 10 or so hours for the first while then checked them occasionally after that, no changes. KTM SUPER easy to work on, no linkage servicing, light, nimble handling. Sorry but no comparison.

I was also a little freaked before I got my 450. I've come to find the maintenance nightmare is just because it just takes a little longer to do routine maintenance. This makes it a little more expensive in the shop or a little more of a headache if you do it yourself. I did my first valve adjustment with the help of a friend and it was a pain in the @ss. You have to completely remove the top of the cycle. Seat, tank, radiator (which have guards - PAIN.) We did it in 1.5 hours. But I'm also not a mech. - just learning by doing. This time I dropped it off at my local shop and for $120 they changed the oil, the TWO filters ($16, cleaned the OTHER two filters/screens, and did the valve adjustment. For this price and to have it next day done by a professional I think it's a good deal. The oil change isn't all that bad other than having to lay the cycle on it's side to replace two of the filters.

The good news is that when it's adjusted the bike runs purrrfect!! Nothing better than a 90 MPH street legal race bike with 150 mile range+!!

My 2K WR400F is still going strong. My KTM has been just as reliable. Maintenance is a wash between the two bikes IMO. :cry:

The YZ/WR has a 5 vavle head, so they are smaller and thus should float less. But the YZ/WR needs to run at higher RPM's to do the same thing, so its probably a wash.

The YZ/WR carries more oil, That's only a issue if you don't change it often. The old Huskies (TE610/410) ran for years with little oil, you must change it more. They even got by without an oil pump, used to splash oil up to the top.

I'd say the main thing I did not like about my YZ and WR was the top heavy feeling it has. The WR was heavy and felt much heavier. The YZ is light, but feels heavier than my 525 unless I'm loadning them or they are laying on top of me.

I have a 04 KTM and a 03 YZ and I'm keeping the KTM and selling the YZ. Might replace the YZ with a 05 KTM or YZ but the YZ would be 2-stroke 250, not anothe thumper. KTM I wanted a 05 200SX, but they canned that project. :cry:

Cheers,